Unusual complication Brachioplasty (long)

jonscutie
on 7/22/09 11:57 am
I am posting this because this is something that I had never heard of. I am 5 months post op TT/BL and 8 weeks post op brachioplasty. I had the drain pulled on my right arm 1 week post op and the left arm at 2 weeks post op. (My TT drains were in almost 4 weeks - guess I am just lucky this way.)

My surgeon noticed that my right arm looked a little warmer and redder than she liked when I had the drain on my left arm pulled. I had been on low dose antibiotics as a precaution. She upped changed the antibiotic and upped the dosage. 10 days later things were still not looking great, so she changed the antibiotic again and put me on a huge dose. That slowly seemed to take care of things. I was on antibiotics for 4 weeks.

My arm never looked really bad - just pink along the incision line close to my elbow and across my arm. There was swelling on and off which is normal. I never felt bad or had a fever. The incision continued to heal and today looks really great.

But along the incision and to the middle of my arm from my elbow to mid arm, the skin continues to look pink to red and irritated. In addition, I am still using pain meds to sleep as I continue to have a burning/needles and pins pain in the area. It is not really bad but annoying. Any pressure on the area really is uncomfortable.

My surgeon thinks that I may be developing sympathetic dystrophy and that the infection did not last as long as we thought.

From my web search, sympathetic dystrophy is a sympathetic nerve response to trauma that gets out of hand. Sort of a negative feedback loop is created where an irritated nerve continues to irritate itself and doesn't heal. It is a spontaneous thing that can happen - usually on an extremity - in response to something as small as a paper cut. The only treatment is symptomatic - it can, in its worse form, be very bad. It may also just spontaneously disappear.

I am being sent for a physical therapy consult. My surgeon is recommending ultrasound and massage. She has me massaging my arm twice a day until I can start the physical therapy. My research suggested using hydrocortisone cream and analgesic cream. It seems to be helping.

So just another thing to be aware of.

Michelle

Lois G.
on 7/22/09 12:46 pm - Ashland, PA
wow, I had my arms done a year this past easter, and my right arm I still can't feel much with it, it is numb and tingles and is just plain weird feeling...the left is fine....I had no drains, no meds to take either.........my research in this so far is that my nerves were cut and not healing, or whatever, I hope you get results for what you are doing, I did massage my arms daily in the beginning but have kinds given up.....compared to what they did look like and what they look like now, i feel lucky,,,,,my doctor said he would do a revision when I get my belly done if I wanted it. ?
Lois
jonscutie
on 7/22/09 1:06 pm
Thanks Lois. The massage makes them feel better - the burning seems to be less over the past couple of days. So I am hopeful.

Michelle
BrookeK
on 7/22/09 11:18 pm - Arlington, TX
Thank you so much for posting this.  I had my 3rd consult yesterday for my brachioplasty.  I am gathering all the information I can.  I hope things get fixed up for you really soon.

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

jonscutie
on 7/23/09 1:03 am
This is something that can happen to anyone with any kind of trauma, even a paper cut. This information would not have changed my mind about having the brachioplasty but it is good to have all the information that you can.

Thanks so much for the good wishes.

Michelle
jj_in_CA
on 7/23/09 2:46 pm - Gualala, CA

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble after PS.  I can't wait to see you photos though.  

Thanks for posting this so we're all aware of the possible complications.

I hope you're both doing well.

---jan---

---jan---

jonscutie
on 7/24/09 3:01 am
Thanks Jan.

I saw my PCP yesterday. I got referred for the physical therapy. And she also ordered nortriptyline since I can't take NSAIDS. It takes time to work but she was really understanding.

Best,

Michelle
Melissa M.
on 7/23/09 2:49 pm - Seabrook, TX
Thanks for sharing.  It's really important for us to hear the good and bad of PS.  I really hope your problem gets resolved for you.

Melissa
jonscutie
on 7/24/09 3:04 am
Thanks Melissa. I appreciate the support. I agree it is important to have all information to make decisions.

Since I can't take NSAIDS, my PCP ordered nortriptyline. It is for "nerve pain". It takes awhile to work but I am hopeful. She was very supportive.

Michelle
Most Active