HELP with Information! TT and BL info request.

YummyMummy1
on 7/21/09 1:48 am - Hawthorne, CA
Good Morning everyone! (California person here)
It is July 21st today and I'm looking into having a TT and BL in October. How long does the insurance take in order to get an approval from them? I know I must go to my Surgery's (gastric bypass doctor) office first, then he'll refer me to someone or do I go directly to a surgeon? I don't know where to start. Please help! Should I start now or wait a couple of more weeks. I must do this in October, do to work obligations.

YummyMummy1

Jessie-F
on 7/21/09 2:54 am
Hi, not sure if most insurances work the same but here's what my situation was like:(for the BR)

-I researched the plastic surgeon that I trusted.
-Made an appointment w/ him to consult what I needed done.
-He took "before pictures and gave me an estimate incase my insurance declined.
-His staff instructed me on what they needed to submit to the insurance company:
1.orthopedic evaluation
2.xray of upper back
3.letter from your PCP stating that you need this surgery.

Once they had these in their office, they submitted them and I was approved in 72 hrs.

For the surgeries I also needed, a mammography and medical clearance.
Good luck.-Jessie

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 5:07 pm
HI there --

everything written above applies, BUT . . .

while it definitely is time to start interviewing plastic surgeons and investigating the whole thing, most insurance companies (not to mention the doctors) want you to have had a stable weight for six months or more.

I began investigating about a year post-op, found the surgeon (Khalili's recommendation, bTW), and was told flat out that insurance was not likely to approve until weight had been stable for six months. 

Though your mileage may vary --
YummyMummy1
on 7/22/09 10:00 am - Hawthorne, CA
Wow! ok... I'm still shedding some pounds, but what did Dr. Khalili say? what Dr. did he tell you to go to? Let me know, so that I could start looking into. Did insurance cover you?

Thanks for the feedback.
Most Active