Death and Plastics: Where Are the Numbers, Please?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 12:59 am
Morning, all!

Remember when we were just getting our WLS, how concerned we were about DYING?  And we all weighed the numbers and probabilities of dying as a consequence of WLS, vs. dying as a consequence of obesity; and how interested we were in our surgeons' death rates, and the death rates from various WL surgeries?

WHY don't I see that on this board?  Was it discussed, and I missed it?

And come to think of it, what ARE the death rates due to LBL, or TT, or Panni, or BL, or Brach, or any of that?  

Yikes!  Someone help me out here!  These are surgeries that also carry advanced risk because of time under anaesthesia -- anyone help out a girl here!

Redhaired
on 7/21/09 1:28 am - Mouseville, FL
Check out this site and see if it has the information for which you are looking.  But remember the only stats that really count are those for your surgeon and hospital.  http://www.smartplasticsurgery.com/surgery/risks.html

BigCityGirl
on 7/21/09 1:38 am - San Diego, CA
Here is my un-scientific opinion.  The risk of dying during WLS is much higher than dying during plastic surgery.  Sheer numbers would dictate that - the WLS group are all obese or MO or SMO which make surgery on such patients much higher risk than surgery on the population of plastic surgery patients, who, as a group are not obese, MO or SMO. 

Since I've been posting here, I know of one death from plastic surgery at OH and one outside of OH. 

The girl who died here was SMO and undergoing a panni removal which weighed 70 pounds.  She didn't die in surgery but died within 30 days of surgery.  She had other major health problems which put her at very high risk for such a surgery.   She was in her 20's and weighed in excess of 400 pounds.  Most surgeons will not operate on patients over 400 pounds because of the risk. 

The other case was Kanye West's mother, Donda West who died shortly after having 12 hour surgery by a non-board certified plastic surgeon.  She had a pre-existing heart condition and had been told by other surgeons that they would not operate on her because of her heart condition. 

I never worried about surgical risk with plastics because: 

1.  I was upfront and honest with my surgeon about my medical conditions, past medical conditions and medicines that I take.

2.  My surgeon did extensive testing on me prior to surgery.

3.  At the time of my plastics, I had modified my lifestyle dramatically - was exercising regularly, eating properly and had overcome other medical conditions like high blood pressure. 

4.  I went to a board certified plastic surgeon with an excellent reputation.

5.  He limited my surgery to 7 hours or less in each event. 

6.  I followed the PostOp instructions precisely.

I think it's very, very safe to have plastics.  Don't worry - you'll do fine. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
ColoradoHusker
on 7/21/09 2:05 am - Colorado Springs, CO
  Charming -

Thank you for posting these types of questions.  I'm having plastic surgery in October and think of the same questions, too!

My doctor told me that during surgery the biggest risk is the anesthesia as we are under for so long - this is barring any other risk factors of heart problems, etc.  He explained that since we're not working inside the body cavity, we're not risking vital organs, etc.  However, we are dealing with huge wound and healing issues - whereas many sugeries today are done lap or have come a long ways in not have as large of incisions as before.

Hope this helps!
jana
Most Active