Sleeping after surgery

sonnieN
on 7/20/09 8:54 am - grand rapids, MI
I had my LBL and brachio on the 15th. Everything has been going well except for sleeping at night. I have 2 different recliners that I have been trying. I am able to fall asleep in them but the problem is my neck when I wake up. My head falls to one side or the other and then my neck is very sore and causes headaches. That has probably been more bothersome than the pain fromt he actual surgery.

Anyone have suggestions that worked well for them?

Sonya
tammyncook
on 7/20/09 10:22 am - Osceola, WI
My mom has this horseshoe-shaped pillow that you wear around your neck because she loves to sleep in her recliner. I've tried it and it works great. I guess I would give something like that a try that if I were you!
Tammy
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
inkerdoodles
on 7/20/09 11:15 am - Schenectady, NY

My surgeries were Tuesday and then again on Wednesday .... After my tailbone going completely numb Friday evening and being unable to get comfortable in the recliner I finally said to heck with this and moved into bed.. With lots of pillows I get a really good nights sleep..... You feel like a million dollars after you've been able to sleep more than an hour or two in 1 shot.

Good Luck.

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

DiDi55
on 7/20/09 11:15 am - GA
VSG on 09/15/08 with
I use the same pillow, it is called a traveling pillow.  You can get it at walmart or Walgreen's around $10 or so.  In Walmart it is next to the luggage tags in the travel section.  I don't remember where it was in Walgreen's, just know my sister wanted on and we were in Walgreen's and saw it there.  I think that we were in the isle that had maybe either the seen on TV or the small appliances. 

If you get the one with the little beads in it, it does not get hot.  I had a foam one and it got a little hot after a couple hours. 

When my back really hurts I can not lay in a bed and sleep in the recliner instead. 

Di.

ohcardsmdi.jpg picture by lynnca1972

Melissa M.
on 7/20/09 1:08 pm - Seabrook, TX
I used one of those travel horseshoe pillows when I slept in the recliner and it worked great for me.  No more crooked neck!
PamT
on 7/20/09 1:33 pm - Downey, CA
I slept in my own bed, surrounded by a ton of specifically placed pillows.  Although I have two recliners, I was most comfortable in my own bed.

Difficult to get up & down? Yes!! but EVERYTHING was difficult those first few days!!!

PamT
O. Kufi
on 7/20/09 1:56 pm
Hi Sonya

I have slept more comfortably in my bed after my surgeries, but during the day I have napped in a recliner and I use a U shaped travel pillow which works perfectly for me.

Dr Sauceda you ROCK!

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Most Active