Are you eating enough to heal well?

Jupiter6
on 7/20/09 9:43 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I get 130+g protein on 1600 calories-- my plastic surgeon thinks that's more than enough--- problem for me is that even when well, 130g a day still results in borderline protein and low albumen levels on a GOOD day.

So just when I decide, "I best add an extra shake--one of my wounds is opening and started to develop a sinus tract (uh oh)" I step on the MFing scale, and at almost a month out, I'm still weighing 158 pounds--- 4 pounds MORE than I did when I had plastics and allegedly left 10+ pounds on the OR floor. I'm getting strech marks on my hips because the skin is so taut and swollen and the dime sized hole on my left hip keeps oozing serous fluid. Why the hell won't it go down?

I understand water weight, but it keeps going up and up-- it ought to be going down by now! I'm 25 days out, now. Ideas?

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 9:59 am
I have no idea if this is related, but in LA right now the heat is in the triple digits, and people are complaining of (among other things) bloat.  Do you normally gain or retain fluid in hot weather, by any chance?

Jupiter6
on 7/20/09 10:37 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I do, like crazy-- but I'm indoors with central air, here.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

MelissaF
on 7/20/09 12:44 pm - Northwood, IA
Maybe since you already had lymphedema and now you have a whole new rerigged lymphatic system you are getting double whammied :(
Jupiter6
on 7/21/09 8:45 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Not lymphedema--- jus' reg'lar edema (CVI)--- but yep, I'm swellicious!

Emergency Bowel Repair
12/08 

ShirleyG
on 7/20/09 8:37 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
DRINK MEGA WATER , no salt or low salt ,,,,I had that problem too and PS said PLAIN COL D WATER and like 120 OZ a day ..   sip all day long ,,, worked like a charrm for me   cut out all  salty foods if your eating as in chips etc ..
Hope it helps you too
Shirley
CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 7/20/09 12:50 pm - Springfield, MA
Thank you so much for all this info.  I was wondering about this subject; I have been kind of hungry since the surgery and I have been trying to choose the best food possible, it has been kind of hard because I don't eat meat or poultry since my RNY five years ago.  I am not vegetarian 100 % because I do drink milk and eat eggs which come from animals.

Thanks you again for this info.  Good Luck to you!
Melissa M.
on 7/20/09 3:16 pm - Seabrook, TX
I'm not sure if this is for bypass patients or not, but it is really important for us to eat above and beyond our normal requirements during our healing phase.  I know people are concerned about gaining because of us being immobile and not exercising, but this definitely isn't the time to cut down.

I hear you on the swelling.  I'm a month out and haven't seen much difference in the swelling either! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 4:23 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the reminder, darlin'.

I was actually thinking today that I need to start counting my calories again this week because -- hahahaha -- I'm not eating enough. Oh, when did my life come to this?

I'm trying this whole "eat when hungry, eat natural foods, blah blah blah", but it turns out *does quick fitday*, ****E, I only ate 1,300 calories, and I'm less than two weeks post-op plastics. Whoops.

Looks like I'm gonna have to start calculating to eat enough. This is insane. When did I become the weird thin girl who isn't hungry?!
Most Active