Are you eating enough to heal well?

Jupiter6
on 7/20/09 12:37 am, edited 7/20/09 12:38 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
I thought that 1400-1600 calories (130g protein) would do it but I've been very hungry--- turns out it might be for a reason-- and part of why these couple little wounds haven't healed!

Info on wound healing:

Calories. Wound healing consumes energy. Ordinarily, carbohydrates and fats are the main sources of energy. During the stress response, proteins are also broken down to provide energy. To prevent the loss of lean body mass, sufficient energy supply has to be maintained. After trauma, caloric requirements may be increased up to 25 to 30 calories per kilogram of body weight daily (Leininger S 2002) .

Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are a rich source of cellular energy during wound healing. Carbohydrates serve a number of purposes after a wound:
  • Help meet the body's heightened energy requirements.
  • Aid in fibroblast movement, which is vital in wound healing.
  • Enhance white blood cell activity to strengthen immune response.
Protein. Proteins are a vital component of collagen synthesis. Therefore, insufficient protein can affect the rate and quality of wound healing. It is well known that trauma increases the demand for protein. This requirement is further increased in the event of sepsis or stress. Wound healing requires 1.5 to 3 g per kilogram (of body weight) per day of protein, but this requirement may vary depending on the type of wound (Leininger S 2002).

Fats. Fats are a concentrated source of calories. Supplementation with certain fatty acids is essential. They play the chief role in cell membrane structure and function and help wound healing. It is recommended that 20 percent of calories should be obtained from fats, especially monounsaturated fats. Fats are also implicated in the synthesis of new cells; therefore, low fat levels would delay wound healing.

Vitamin A. Vitamin A is indispensable for normal growth and differentiation of the skin, making it significant in wound healing . The presence of vitamin A increases the strength of scar tissue. Vitamin A is required for an adequate inflammatory response and has been used to counteract the catabolic effect that glucocorticosteroids exert on wound healing (Ehrlich HP et al 1973). The improvement in wound healing from vitamin A supplementation is also attributed to an increase in collagen cross-linking, which results in higher tensile strength (Seifter E et al 1975).

Vitamin C. It is well documented that wound healing requires more vitamin C than the diet alone can easily provide (MacKay D et al 2003) . As vitamin C is water soluble, it has to be taken daily. Vitamin C is important for the proper function of the enzyme protocollagen hydroxylase, which generates collagen. Vitamin C forms bonds between the strands of collagen fibers and helps to provide extra strength and stability. It is also essential for the synthesis of the intracellular matrix of tissues such as bone, skin, blood vessel walls, and connective tissue. Finally, vitamin C is a potent antioxidant, and studies have shown elevated levels of reactive oxygen species (a kind of free radical) in wounds (Gupta A et al 2002; Sen CK et al 2002).

Zinc. Zinc is a trace mineral present in the body in only a small quantity. However, it is found in many tissues, including bone, skin, muscle, and organs, and it is required in as many as 300 enzymatic reactions. Zinc is used in DNA synthesis, cell division, and protein synthesis and mediates the maturation of T-lymphocytes ( Prasad AS 1995).The body's need for zinc increases during cell proliferation and protein secretion.

Water. Meeting hypermetabolic needs may leave the body dehydrated. Not only is it essential to maintain hydration, but the need for hydration increases if a wound is draining or if a person is on an air-fluidized therapy bed. Trauma patients' daily requirement of water may range from 1500 to 2000 mL/day (Leininger S 2002).  

NUTRITION AND WOUNDS

Poor nutrition makes it easier for wounds to develop, especially eating low amounts of protein. Protein is very important for healthy skin, your body’s protective outer layer. Protein helps the skin strong so that it does not tear easily. If protein levels in you body become low, your skin may become weak and you could get a wound or sore. To help avoid this problem, make sure you are eating enough protein.

High levels of protein are needed to help wounds heal. Protein helps build new skin so that an open wound will close and cover over. Protein also plays a big part in fighting infection.

Calories are another important part of wound healing. Calories give your body the energy it needs to keep working every day. When your body is working harder to heal a wound, it may need extra calories.

Things to Increase
A balanced diet overall is important for wound healing, but increasing the following nutrients may be helpful. (Ask your home health nurse or your doctor for the specific targets that are best for you.)

Protein Target: 75 to 100 grams per day
In addition to your other daily meal choices, include the following protein sources:
• Milk and dairy products
• Eggs (cooked)
• Lean meat, fish, or poultry
• A high-protein nutritional supplement

Calories Target: 1,700 to 3,150 Calories per day
In addition to your daily meal choices, include some of the following high-calorie foods:
• Cereals
• Breads
• Fruits and vegetables
• Fats such as butter, margarine and oils can be used to increase calories

Vitamin C Target: 100 to 200 mg per day
In addition to your other daily meal choices, include some of the following foods high in Vitamin C:
• Citrus fruits and fruit juices
• Cantaloupe
• Tomatoes
• Potatoes
• Dark green vegetables

Zinc Target 15 to 25 mg per day
In addition to your other daily meal choices, include some of the following foods high in zinc:
• Lean meats and poultry
• Organ meats (such as liver)
• Whole grain products

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

sboyd1
on 7/20/09 1:02 am - Pearland, TX
GREAT post!!!!  This is extremely useful information around these parts.... thanks!!
BigCityGirl
on 7/20/09 1:06 am - San Diego, CA
I'm sure proper diet is very useful for wound healing.  I was never given any dietary advice from my surgeon in three rounds of plastics, but I did not have bypass surgery and therefore I don't mal-absorb.  I was told by more than one surgeon during consults that  cigarette smoking causes a lot of problems for wound healing.   My wounds closed up very quickly - probably within a week in every case. 

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 7/20/09 1:13 am
This is so dead on right!  My doc is AMAZED at how quickly I healed - and that due to me following a serious vitamin and protein routine. 

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

K-T
on 7/20/09 1:31 am - LA
Thanks for this info I saved it!!!! I am very interested in reading more about your journey but I am unable to add you as a friend or see your profile :(
Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
Jupiter6
on 7/20/09 5:07 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Click recent posts under my avatar. Thx!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

KathigME
on 7/20/09 4:59 am - Gorham, ME
Very good info!! I am just home from the ER for an infection and dehydration, don't forget to drink people!! 
Kathi G.  I LOVE MY RNY!!   
Cindy F.
on 7/20/09 6:23 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
GREAT Information!!!  Thanks

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/09 6:45 am
This is a wonderful post.  OH should somehow "glue" it to the top of the PS threads!

MelissaF
on 7/20/09 6:45 am - Northwood, IA
Shari - I ate close to my normal caloric level maybe just a tad lower.. I was around 1600-1800 cals instead of maybe 2200 and I didn't gain an ounce.. so I think we do need that extra calorie protein allowance.  In the hospital, patients with wounds that are healing are always ordered extra calories and protein in their diets to promote healing. I also took bromelain and extra zinc and I think it helped a lot!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active