Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck?!

CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 7/18/09 6:21 am - Springfield, MA
No no I am not pregnant well not yet I just had my TT two weeks ago! but I am just courious about this subject and how plastic surgery will affect the pregnancy. 

There wont be as much skin as it used to; etc. I have been considering the idea of having a baby in the near future but now that I had PS I am not sure; I will ask my surgeon but if you have any experience or have any info.  I will appreciate it.  Thanks:o)

Hugzzz

Cecie
sanguinarythorn
on 7/18/09 7:25 am - Newport News, VA
I tried to get some input on this before I had my TT specifically because I plan on getting pregnant again in about a year. Everyone I talked to looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I didn't wait til after kids to get my TT. So, I didn't really get much support or help from people in that department, even on OH.

My mom is a nurse midwife, so she has seen plenty of women get pregnant after TTs. She said there's no common complications or anything, and in most cases it doesn't ruin the TT to get pregnant afterwards.

My surgeon and I discussed the topic and decided to do my muscle tightening with absorbable suters so that it won't rip and tear when I decide to get pregnant again. He also didn't know of any common complications and said it won't ruin the TT to get pregnant again. I asked my surgeon how long I should wait after the TT before trying to get pregnant, and he said 6 months. I plan on waiting at LEAST a year anyway, just so I can have some me time with my new body before embarking on another baby.

CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 7/18/09 8:25 am - Springfield, MA
Oh thank you so much for this info.  I was thinking on waiting a year too before trying to get pregnant but today all of the sudden it hit me! and got scared.  Is good to know other women are planning babies too.  I feel better now thank you:o)  Good Luck to you
DrL
on 7/19/09 7:36 am - Houston, TX
I see many young patients (and some not so young!) who, after weight loss, are considering dating, marriage, and children. 

There is probably no medical reason whereby a TT would interfere with pregnancy (I base this on women who had TRAM flaps where tummy skin and muscle is taken to make a new breast after mastectomy) 5 or so of these patients were followed t MD Anderson after they beat their cancers, and all had successful pregnancies.

In general, though, it would seem inadvisable to do a TT if you are condisering pregnancy in the near future.  Pregnancy and the normal weight gain WILL "undo" a TT to some degree.

NOW, if you are an individual who has lost over or around 100lbs, have a TT or LBL, then get pregnant, I would argue that you will NEVER go back to the way you were unless you regain all the weight you had initially.

So, some of it depends on where you are, where you came from, and where you want to be. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Zee Starrlite
on 7/20/09 1:40 am, edited 7/20/09 1:42 am
It's odd that you didn't ask or research this pre-op???  Many woman go on to have babies after TT - most say that their stomachs go back flat for the most part BUT certainly not like it was before the pregnancy.  They also report their stomachs being tight from stretching.

If you were planning on getting pregnant, most PS would have advised against muscle tightening (what is referred to as "the corset").

Either way, you'll be fine.

Good Luck,
L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active