Preparing for LBL surgery: What to take, what to wear? (And my endless gratitude)

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 5:00 am
YOu are a godsend, thank you!

I can't wait to see what others post, as well.

Regarding nightgowns -- What, no pajama bottoms?!?!  (Please let me know -- should I be buying leggings and PJ bottoms?  I have hated wearing gowns since my RnY because of the icky feel of the skin flapping against itself .... PJ bottoms and leggings really help.  What do you suggest?)
MelissaF
on 7/18/09 5:08 am - Northwood, IA
I never wore gowns my entire life but they were awesome b/c of the 4 drains... u don't want much against you... your binder is enough.  This way it freely flows away from the body.  I had huge PJ bottoms but really wanted the gowns.. everyone is differet I guess.  I bought two and washed the other one with my compression garment in Woolite every other day.  It worked great for me.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Jupiter6
on 7/18/09 7:13 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Get nightgowns or cheap dresses that button up the front. Much easier. (Then again, I didn't have use of my arms)

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

totalfreedom
on 7/18/09 5:44 am - Northern CA
Hi, I have a list on my profle I put together of what others found useful.  The most useful tool by far for me was the freshette!

Have a great surgery and uneventful recovery!

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Jupiter6
on 7/18/09 7:21 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
1) Over the lap desk
2) Commode seat extender (try Craigslist)
3) Flushable wipes
4) Cook and freeze food in advance
5) Renting a hospital bed's been great for me-- $160 a month, but my surgery was extensive
6) Take nothing but you and a gown to wear home, you won't want anything but morphine
7) Hope Michael Jackson doesn't die again because the endless hospital TV coverage will make you absolutely bat****
8) Front hook bras (less wrenching yourself to get bra on)
9) Shoes you can slip on, but not flip flops (too unstable)
10) Move things you need from high/low shelves to counter/where you can get them-- in the fridge, put everything on top shelf
11) Skip the pants initially
12) I had a little velvet drawstring jewelry bag that I put both drains in-- kinda handy
13) Wash compression garments before wearing them to remove the sizing-- it's itchy
14) Apologize to friends and family in advance for the *****ing you'll be doing
15) Get DVDs or TiVo ready to roll

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/18/09 8:22 am
Someone here posted to get Men's Boxers since they have the opening in the front for the drains to come out and you can pin them to the material.  what does everything else thing about that?

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

trudie74
on 7/18/09 11:22 am - Round Rock, TX
LOL the garment most use has the open crotch and my hoo hoo and butt cheeks just hung outta that thing...my hubby kept asking if I wanted to see it with a mirror cuz it cracked him up.  I declined because my tummy couldn't handle the laugh.  On that note, I STILL preferred the gown type route.  Pulling bottoms up and down even with help would have been more trouble than it was worth.  And I second that they need to open in the front, not be pulled over your head.  I found an AWESOME lightweight cottonish robe that was short in length and short sleeved...it zipped up the front (found it at Kohls).  It was God sent!  I could easily unzip half way to drain or take it off/put it on with no help.  And pottying was a breeze with the open access bottom!

Everything else I needed has already been listed.  I would suggest having gauze at home for drain sights if the bother you (to cushion), or in my case of having thighs done the seam at the crotch rubbed my incision (gauze between the garment and my skin along the seam helped alot).  But I doubt that area would bother you with a LBL.

DS Facts
on 7/19/09 5:22 am
This is such a great thread to prep for LBL, thank you!!

Bev
Melissa M.
on 7/19/09 7:12 am - Seabrook, TX
I rented a lift chair and it was great!  It helps especially the first few days because you don't have to lift yourself up or deal with pushing the recliner up and down on your own when no one is around.  I also bought a hospital tray on wheels. That was geat too. It's better than a laptop tray because it's adjustable and has a larger surface. I was able to push the laptop to the side and eat on the other.   I used it before surgery and am still using it even though I don't "need" it anymore. 

I also lived in gowns and dresses.  Still wear them around the house because they are so comfortable and I am still swollen and don't like having anything on my waist for an extended period of time.  I lived in those tshirt gowns that walmart has for $8. Love those!  I have a list on my profile too othat you're welcome to see.

I took all kinds of stuff to the hospital and didn't use ANY OF IT!  I didn't even brush my teeth till I came home the next afternoon!  I was so out of it I didn't even think about it believe it or not.  I wore a summer dress to the hospital and put it back on when I came home.  I did take a pillow with me to use for the ride home which was great.  I did use chapstick now that I think of it.

Of all the things I bought to prepare these are the only things I used the most:

lift chair recliner
toilet seat riser
extra pillows
grabber (to pick up remote and cell phone I kept dropping on the floor)
stool softeners
hospital tray
protein foods/shakes
lanyard (to clip drains on during shower)
gowns/dresses
extra strength tylenol

I had a lot more things that I bought in preparation but didn't need it.  Also after the first week you'll probably be going stir crazy and will want to go to the store for a quick trip to pick up things you'll think of.
Most Active