Preparing for LBL surgery: What to take, what to wear? (And my endless gratitude)

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 2:45 am
First of all, thank you to all who have been:
1)  posting their before/ during / after pix and stories so that I get a better idea of what's coming up;
2)  faithfully answering questions and given kind, useful, and funny feedback to my endless questions!

I am preparing for a LBL in a week and a half!  YAY! 

But . . .

I'm wondering if anyone has prepared a list of what-to-take to the hospital?

Is there likewise any list of  how-to-prepare for surgery?

And (drumroll please):  What did you wear IN the hospital?  And . . . What did you wear at home in the weeks immediately FOLLOWING surgery?

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have been responding to my threads!!!

Kennedy12
on 7/18/09 2:51 am - Chicago, IL
I am looking forward to the responses here, as I am preparing for the same! So far, I have the following on my list of must haves for LBL:

1. Freshette - to allow you to pee standing up for a while
2. Flushable wet wipes
3. Comfy draw string pajama pants
4. Soft, comfy white t-shirts to wear under binder

I look forward to other's input!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/18/09 3:10 am
thanks for asking this question!
I'll have mine in December and it's never too early to start preparing!
I have on my list things that I needed when I had my LapBand surgery,

1. Chapstick for my lips that were so dry from anesthesia and being NPO
2. Extra pillow for the ride home and to be more comfy while in the hospital.

That's it for me.  I'll be waiting for the pioneers to give us their wisdom!
Thanks in advance!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

beth B.
on 10/28/09 3:04 am - cupertino, CA
I will also be having mine in December.  The 16th to be exact.  I am having my stomach and thighs done.  later I will have my upper back and chin done.  looking forward to looking better but scared of the first two weeks post op.
see you on the other side.

Beth B.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/28/09 4:43 pm
Hijack Beth!

My boyfriend lives in Cupertino. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 3:22 am
On my personal preparation list I also have:

Two or three days before hand:

1)  color hair
2) have armpits and lower legs waxed (I hate *****ly regrowth)
3)  have eyebrows professionally done

But let's see if we can pull together a more comprehensive list!

(Anyone know about the wearing of contact lenses during surgery?)
Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/18/09 3:35 am
Oh on that note, I'm going to get a complete body waxing.  I know they will have to shave everything so this will save that!  I hate the thought of being naked on the OR table while being shaved.  I am an RN who attends many c/sections and they have to do that to our patients.  Contacts aren't allowed in the OR.  So you'll have to take your glasses with you for when you wake up.  Good list, I hadn't thought of the coloring my hair, but it's best to get it done before rather than after!

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 4:17 am
How complete is the complete body waxing?  I'm not sure if I'll be more humiliated being shaved, or being waxed.  How bad do you suppose the regrowth is after either waxing or shaving?  Which is likelier to generate either infection or ingrown hairs? 
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/09 4:19 am
Also on my to-do-list, wean myself from that demon CAFFEINE so that I'm not all headachey after surgery.

Of course ... gosh, I'm not starting that one TODAY!
MelissaF
on 7/18/09 4:47 am - Northwood, IA
What to take to the hospital... bare minimums b/c you will not use 1/2 of what you bring! Promise!

I took protein shakes b/c I knew the food wouldn't appeal to me after... I also am lactose intolerant so a box of soy milk that didn't have to be refrigerated till opened (soy slender). I lived on these in the hospital and a couple protein bars.

Otherwise:

Chapstick
tampons - I started my period.
toothbrush and toothpaste - they can provide u with this.
my own slippers and robe - again they can provide u with these things
my own pillow - preference

Wore into the hospital: one size too big of pants and one size too big of tshirt.  I wore the same thing home.  

I lived in nightgowns.. b/c u have to pin the drains.  It worked great.  Be sure to get hanes long (mens) t-shirts/wife beaters to put under your binder... SUCH A BLESSING.  Promise worth every cent - to wear under your binder for comfort.  Go**** was nice.

Prepare by protein loading, weaning off caffiene, taking your vitamins faithfully, having protein high shakes and bars postop as your hunger will be down and you will feel tight and not much like eating.  Lots of pillows to prop yourself up.  Have your house clean and have your hair/toes done.

Also a toilet seat riser with arms was helpful but again not necessary after the first week really and could have accomplished without it but made life easier.

A box of alcohol wipes to make stripping the drains easier as it glides down the tubes better than your fingers.

Maxi pads in case you drain.. work great for incisions drainers... I didn't need these but many have.

2:1 shampoo/conditioner.. to eliminate having to do both seperately as you will just wanna "get er done" as quickly as possible.

Large wipes that u get in the adult section near depends for cleansing, they are premositened. I used these to clean up between showers. I could not shower till drains came out and used these.  They worked well.

Hope this helps! How exciting for you!!!

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active