Anyone Tan Scars and Regret It?

Cindy C.
on 7/17/09 1:18 pm
My surgeon told me NOT to tan my scars for the first year.  He said it would make my scars darker.  I have started going to the tanning bed because we are going to the beach in August and I don't want to get burnt.  I bought a bikini and am wearing it in the tanning bed to cover my scars.  I HATE it.  I don't like tan lines and the strings leave strange patterns on my back.  Has anyone ever tanned the first year and had their scars get darker?  

Thanks,

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

vickie O.
on 7/17/09 2:42 pm - amarillo, TX
cindy, i haven't had my surgery yet, but if the doc specifically said not to tan for a  exact reason, i wouldn't do it. that is just my opinion. good luck on your vacation. vick

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

kerri-lee
on 7/17/09 3:16 pm - pasadena, CA
Hi Cindy - I am new, and I just wanted to tell you that I accidently tan my new scars too soon, and unfortunately my scars turned really red.  They are still much darker than I would like.  My plastic surgeon said it was because of me getting them in the tanning booth too soon.

There are some scar treatments out there that can help if this happens to you.
Wishing you all the best.
IRAYD8U
on 7/17/09 4:39 pm - MONTICELLO, MN

Have you considered using a sunblock on the scars??  Just a thought.  Or just call the surgeon and tell him whats up and ask what he suggests.  I'm sure he will have answers.

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
trudie74
on 7/17/09 11:37 pm - Round Rock, TX
I wouldn't take a chance on regretting this.  If it is to keep from burning, then don't let the tan liines bother you this time around...there's always next summer to show off!  Or, you could slather them with sunscreen, put bandages over them, then use your suit or a towel to carefully cover them.  That would let the rest of your body be exposed...all I can think of.  I am staying out of the sun this year though because I don't want to take the chance after all it took to get here.

cleos_mom
on 7/17/09 11:43 pm - phila., PA
If you ask your PS or any Dr. about going in the sun he will tell you to wear sunblock .
my PS told me to put 50 sunblock on my scars so they don't burn or darken, even though I don't burn he said the new skin will and if they tan then in the winter when your skin gets lighter your scars will stay dark
DrL
on 7/19/09 7:45 am - Houston, TX
Remember, a tan is your skin's response to injury...

I didn't follow my own advice, and I got out in the sun a week or 2 after  I had a precancerous spot removed.  The scar became discolored, dark, and irritated.  There was talk about having to re-excise the area.  My opinion and personal experience: "don't get sun on your scars."
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Cindy C.
on 7/19/09 12:59 pm
Thank You all for the advice.  I went to the tanning bed yesterday and still wore a swimsuit, but I untied the top in the back.  I was careful to make sure my scars stayed covered.  My husband thinks I should still use a high SPF sunblock just in case the suit shifts.  My daughter suggested I put tape over my scars.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Most Active