Weird Side Effect

sanguinarythorn
on 7/17/09 2:34 am - Newport News, VA
I've had surgery 4 times before my TT, and this is the only time I've had such a difficult time peeing after surgery. After my GB it was somewhat difficult because I was cathaterized and because of the residual anesthesia in my system, but it subsided after a day or two. Now, I literally have to sit there for about 5-10 minutes before I can "pursuade" myself to go.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know whether to blame it on anesthesia or what. I know they removed a large part of my mons pubis, so I don't know if they may have stretched the urethra up or something when they pulled the skin up.

Any ideas?
MelissaF
on 7/17/09 2:48 am, edited 7/17/09 2:49 am - Northwood, IA
Did you have a catheter in for a while?

Sometimes the bladder gets lazy as it didn't have to be used to holding urine and the muscles weren't being worked/stretched.... this can cause urgency once the catheter is removed.  Sometimes they "bladder train" before they take the catheter out... basically pinch off the tubing so you bladder is forced to hold urine and then release it and repeat. 

How many days postop are you? If it continues, call your doc, you  made need a prescription for detrol or something temporaroly to calm those smooth muscles of your bladder lining that are apparently not loving the stretch sensation.

Edited to add: oops so you dont have the sensation to go!  You lost that... that also can happen after a catheter.  Keep your doc informed.  It should get better in time. 

Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active