TT & a long car ride question

tammyncook
on 7/17/09 1:27 am - Osceola, WI
Hi!
I finally got my surgery date for my tummy tuck & hernia repair. August 17th.
But the week of the 24th (potentially at the end of that week) when I am about 2 weeks out from surgery I need to make a 4 hour car ride (I definately won't be driving) to pick up my brother then 4 hours home...
Do you think I'll be okay? Honestly, I've had 2 c-sections and I think it'll be fine, but I thought I'd ask some people who've been there. Or maybe you have some suggestions for things I can do that will make it more comfortable?
Thanks!
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
Ansampson
on 7/17/09 6:36 am
Don't go if at all possible. But if not please stop every two hours are so to sretch your muscles and walk. All that sitting caused me to swell up. Are you coming back the same day? So that's an 8 hr drive? Stop and drink plenty of fluids.
tammyncook
on 7/17/09 6:39 am - Osceola, WI
Yep, we'll be coming back the same day- so 8 hours total. I'm sure we will stop frequently.
Thanks for the advice!
Tammy
Highest Weight 290 / Day of Surgery 275 / Doctor's Goal 190 / My Goal 160 / Now 143
CELINES Rodriguez
Torres

on 7/17/09 9:51 am - Springfield, MA
I will be concern with all the hrs. sitting down while driving/passenger.  Try to stop every hr. or two and stretch your legs walk for some time and then keep on driving; it may take more than the four hrs. but at least you will be ok.  Good Luck to you and happy trip
progers37
on 7/17/09 10:30 am - Eastman, GA
I made a 3 hour trip home the day of my tummy tuck and a trip back to atlanta and back home less than a week after my surgery. I do believe you will be fine. I like many others will say though you may want to break your ride up and get out and stretch. I know the day of my surgery I did not do that all I wanted was to get home and into my recliner. But on the return trip up 6 days later I split it up and got out for a few mintues. That seemed to help with the stiffness. Good luck with your surgery..
Jupiter6
on 7/17/09 3:15 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Do NOT do it. Seriously.

2 weeks post abdominoplasty/hernia repair I did a 3 hour drive to my brothers-- which became a 5 hour drive when traffic was a mess, and came back the next day. Even reclining the front seat and being surrounded in pillows, and getting out to walk every once in a while my abdomen swelled horribly and painfully, and I started oozing drainage. Was excrutiating.

Do not do it. Really.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

dmoore1162
on 7/18/09 12:24 am
Ask your doctor.  10 days after my TT, I accompanied my mom to her cousin's funeral 3 hours away.  We stopped half way and had breakfast.  Then finshed up the ride.  We then drove another hour north to Macikaw City, MI to pick up some fudge and drove the four hours back home stopping once for a quick visit with my niece.  My doctor approved this.  I wore lose clothes, as I still had my drains in.  I also made sure I brought my Vicodin and took that as I was in a little pain.  Had a good time with family so it was worth it. 
Delores Moore
it's never too late

DrL
on 7/19/09 7:48 am - Houston, TX

Aside from discomfort, the real risk is blood clots. Travel of any type can put you at risk for this, and recent major surgery increases the risk (along with hormones, smoking, and some genetic factors)

Nearly all of my out of town patients are given a low-dose blood thinner prior to, during, and after travel.  Ask your doc about this.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Cristy S.
on 7/19/09 9:02 am - West Point, GA
About that same time I made a 8 hr one way trip from Ga to Va to see family. My Dr just told me to get out a walk every few hours to help with the swelling. By the time I go there I was super swolled and sore but I lived and managed to turn around and come home 2 days later. Just make sure you stop often and walk! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
tammyncook
on 7/19/09 11:19 pm - Osceola, WI
Thanks everyone for the advice!
I will talk with my doctor about it and see what he says.
Tammy
Tammy
Most Active