I Feel Awful About This!

2kristie
on 7/18/09 10:56 am - , MO
I was in about the same boat as you as I had open RNY 10/03 and had a leak and had to have 2 additional surgeries in 5 days to correct the leak and a defective feed tube and my husband and 5 year old were put through a lot.  They almost lost me on the table the last time cuz of all the surgeries...just too much.  So, I get it and I that was 6 years ago. 

I just had a TT no muscle tightening (more like reconstructive surgery) and they removed 10 lbs of skin and some fat.  I had a stage 3 pannis and it was really messing w/ my everyday life.  My husband was not happy w/ my decision to even look into the surgery.  I really was torn cuz I informed myself and came to the conclusion that after having 2 kids and losing 175 lbs I just couldnt live w/ this mass.  So, I told him that I understood his concern completely and that I felt like I must do this to continue to function appropriately...it was messing w/ my back big time and my nerves to my hips and feet...couldnt exercise to continue to lose baby weight. 

He was not happy and I thought I would give into his fit but I didnt ONLY cuz I KNEW it was the best choice for ME.  Any other reason wouldnt have been enough for me to put my family through that again.  I didnt do this for cosmetic reasons, but for health reasons...I couldnt even walk well and didnt realize how bad things were until after having it removed.  No regrets here. 

However, make sure you have the right motivation...if its just cosmetic, my vote would be do not put yourself through this again.  Although, I suppose yours is a little more considering you have 5 kids.  If so, you must explain wholeheartedly to your hubby that this is a must for you and you dont really do much for yourself anyway and you have to take this opportunity now while you are still young and the kids are vibrant and will be fine.  Trust in the Lord and he will be w/ you...

IF this is not the case then you must reconsider you motivations and ask yourself the really hard questions...can you REALLY live w/ this or not??  I will always have extra skin hanging from my arms, thighs, ankles, butt and boobs but I may never have another opportunity nor would I want to take it to have more surgery and I KNOW that having the TT was the priority body part for me to get fixed...insurance paid so I was really blessed and knew I needed to take that opportunity.  Just be really honest w/ yourself and husband and you will have no regrets either way. 

Keep us posted...best wishes and try to stay positive either way. 
Most Active