Holy Cow! Approved in One Week!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 6:20 am
I can't believe it!  Just a week back (or so) I was posting about how my whole LBL was going to have to be delayed until next summer because of insurance issues . . .

THIS MORNING I got a call from my surgeon's office saying that the insurance company had approved !!!!

WOW!

I might really be able to get this LBL thing taken care of this summer!!!

So let me ask, in case there are any teachers *****ad this ... Is five or six weeks of recovery adequate before returning to a HS classroom?  Howabout for returning to evening classes (3 hours from 4-7 PM)?

And here are a couple of questions that occurred to me, as I was driving around in shock, right after the Dr.'s office called:

I know that an oxygen meter is placed in a finger during surgery.  Does that mean that I can't have acrylic nails on, at the time?  Or polish?

Also ... personal question here.  I assume that for a LBL someone is going to shave something private.  I haven't seen this discussed much -- is it correct?  Is waxing of upper legs a good idea, if there's time?  I think bristly aftergrowth post-op would be a serious irritation.

Thanks everyone!  I'm sure to be back with endless questions!  
trudie74
on 7/15/09 6:53 am - Round Rock, TX
I did not have a LBL, but breasts, thighs, and TT...but I am almost 4 weeks out and could return to work about now (I am also a teacher).  I would not recommend less than 3-4 weeks.  As for the hair issue...different surgeons request different things...mine said I could shave the night before or they could do it in the OR...I shaved.  Some say do NOT because they would rather do it since they worry about cuts, etc.  If you are worried about thighs, wax early not right before surgery imo.  I don't know about the nails...don't wear em, so I didn't ask!  I also didn't have polish on, but every other surgery I have and noone said it was a problem. 

Grats on the great news~

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 2:12 pm
 Thank you!
661jennifer
on 7/15/09 6:59 am - bakersfield, CA
Wow your lucky I should have been a teacher like my mom... I don't have any advice other than the (o2) oxygen saturation will read different with the nails on. But then again after working in a hospital for a few years I have never seen any nails removed for this reason...But then again this was an ER...sooo in an emergency we are not looking at nails.....
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/09 7:26 am
 "...sooo in an emergency we are not looking at nails...."

This gave me a chuckle ... After years of hearing my (now elderly) mom say "Make sure even your underwear is clean! You never know when you'll be in an accident and people will see!" ... So Jennifer, now I have to know!  If nails are okay, does that mean I could have been wearing dirty underwear all this time, and no emergency personnel would have cared?!?!

I'm kidding .... thanks for the tip on acrylic nail tips!

mamapeaches05
on 7/15/09 8:13 am - Hot Springs, AR
OK this too funny asking bout dirty underwear. My aunt was in a rather serious accident and my grandmother had always said clean underwear and none with holes. Well auntie left thinking I'm only going to be gone for a few minutes and kept on the clean but raggedy underwear. She had a head on collision and as they are fighting to save her life she is fighting with them not to cut off her clothing because she was wearing raggedy underwear.  
Mama Peaches Diva on a Journey
I am somebody, I have a purpose, and I'm going somewhere
Just prazin the Lord wit my feet!

Running Man

661jennifer
on 7/15/09 10:27 am - bakersfield, CA

I see where your coming from now...As a little girl I remember my grandmother telling me the same thing. Or she would say don't go to bed in an odd colored or mix matched pair of pj's. Because if your in accident you don't want to be the one looking sloppy.
 OK fast foreword, we don't look at underware. Another thing that might be (tmi) is the condition of most in an emergency. Most people defecate or urinate all over themselves. As humans it is a mechanism that we have developed in certain situations IE- drowning or cold temp they  urinate to warm up kind of thing or shock. So we don't give a you know what. clothing is most likely getting cut off anyway.

"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

wendybear1
on 7/15/09 8:38 am - Brooklyn, NY
The insurance coverage is aweosome!!!

Day teaching should be fine, I'd wait a semester for the night school on top, though.

Toe polish seems to be ok, but they seem to like clear stuff on the nails... If you've got a french manicure it may be ok, otherwise, let it go for a bit.

huskerfan85
on 7/16/09 1:44 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
I was told I could leave my nails on as long as they were clear the day of surgery.  I had a french.  I did have pretty polish on my toes though.  I traveled to California from Colorado  weeks post op from a thigh lift.  I was attending a conference all week.  Lots of walking and sitting, but really no issues.  I also work in a high school and could have easily went back to work this week...BUT I only had a thigh lift with no muscle involvement, just skin removal.
Gayle  6'2" 

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/09 2:47 pm
Oh, Grrrrrrrrrrr . . . . I got an email from the doctor's office saying acrylic nails were absolutely no problem whatsoever .... while I was in the salon getting all those boogers removed.

Wow, my actual nails are sharp, too!  I keep scratching myself ... and I think that I need to get them back on again!  Yikes!
Most Active