Plastics done by residents

Kaitlin D.
on 7/13/09 2:39 am
I know I'm not even close to getting plastics done yet, But I know some places you can have plastics done by residents for a much lower cost. Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere they do this in NY. Thanks!

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

Sally W.
on 7/13/09 2:58 am - IA
Never heard of such a thing....besides, I'd question what year and how much experience a resident had before I'd let them touch me.  They have to be supervised by physicians any way...so I can't see receiving a discount.  Just my 2 cents!
Sally
Melissa M.
on 7/13/09 2:04 pm - Seabrook, TX
Every medical school has a residency program and every PS has to get their experience before they can go into private practice.  The surgeon's cost is about a quarter  or so of what a private surgeon would charge.  The OR, anesthesia and hospital is the standard cost, but the savings comes from the surgeon's fee.  Since there is no profit to be made, that cost goes directly back to the school.  The residents work with some great board certified surgeons if you ask me.  The residents are in their last semester before they go into private practice so they have to do good work!  They are young, bright and want to do the best job possible.  Believe me, I have done tons of research through the years and have met with 4 residents with 2 different schools.  I also met with the attending surgeons and was just as impressed.  I don't regret my choice one bit.
dalybenitez27
on 7/13/09 3:21 am - Orlando, FL
Hi, I am having my arms done on the 24th (less than 2 weeks away!!) at USF Health which is a residents program in Tampa, Florida.  The fee is 50% because it is being done by a senior resident under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon.  Definitely do research in your area and see if you can find anyone that has used them if there is a program in NY.
Kaitlin D.
on 7/13/09 3:28 am
On July 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM Pacific Time, dalybenitez27 wrote:
Hi, I am having my arms done on the 24th (less than 2 weeks away!!) at USF Health which is a residents program in Tampa, Florida.  The fee is 50% because it is being done by a senior resident under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon.  Definitely do research in your area and see if you can find anyone that has used them if there is a program in NY.
Yes, thats what Im talking about. But what do I search for ?

If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never, give up!

HW/256 SW/248 CW/137 GW/140

*goal reached in 8 months*

* Proud Mommy to Parker Joseph 4/27/13 *

dalybenitez27
on 7/13/09 4:59 am - Orlando, FL
You would do a search on "plastic surgeon residents program in New York", and see what you get.  That's how I found the one in Tampa.
huskerfan85
on 7/13/09 5:01 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Look for teaching hospitals connected to medical schools.  I know that places like Yale and Duke have programs....hope that helps and good luck
Gayle  6'2" 

DrL
on 7/13/09 5:33 am - Houston, TX
I am in private practice but also work with residents through Baylor College of Medicine.  I first meet and evaluate the patient, do (or double check) the markings, and  supervise the case.  The patients follow up through the medical school although I remain available. The cost savings is around 50%.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
slimin08
on 7/13/09 10:19 am
I googled the school but was unable to find information about contacting the resident program at Baylor for such services (plastics) by residents. Can tell me how to contact them?

MyLady Heidi
on 7/13/09 7:25 am, edited 7/13/09 7:28 am
Go to Yale in New Haven CT, I had my surgeries done there by residents under the supervision of the chief of staff Dr Persing.  He is the bomb.  Not all residents are created equal of course but I had a very positive experience with Yale and would highly recommend it.

Hugs Heidi

Most Active