Newbie here..Question about time off work with Brachioplasty.

BrookeK
on 7/12/09 12:51 pm - Arlington, TX
I have been lurking here for a little while and I'm sure this has been asked before, but I must have missed it!  I plan on having brachioplasty this fall/winter.  I'm wondering how much time I will need off work.  I work at an elementary school with computers.  I don't have to do any lifting.  I'm usually going from room to room working on minor problems with teacher/student computers. 

Thanks in advance for giving me any advise you can!

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

workingmommy
on 7/12/09 2:16 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Hi there.

I am going in for my brachio on Tues.  My PS said that I would need to take 2-3 weeks off from work.  Luckily I don't go back to wor****il Aug 10, so it is not an issue for me.  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

BrookeK
on 7/12/09 2:24 pm - Arlington, TX
Thanks April! 

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!  I will be lurking here, so give us an update when you feel up to it!

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

doreenh
on 7/12/09 7:36 pm - Meredith, NH

Everyone's different, It depends on pain tolerance etc.  I went back to work after about 10 days, I'm a restaurant mgr, my day was shorter and I only did about an hour on the floor and the rest paperwork etc.  It was a few weeks before I felt pretty good.
Good Luck

Kathie L.
on 7/13/09 12:40 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Brooke,

I had my arms (at the same time as a breast lift, neck lift, lower face lift) done last November the Friday before Thanksgiving week. I also work for a school distirct and planned my surgery to be off from work the shortest amount of time. I was off for a total of 2 weeks, but since the first week of my recovery was Thanksgiving week, I was only out for a total of 8 days.

I hope this helps.

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
ilyssajane
on 7/13/09 4:08 am - Forest Hills, NY
Hi Brooke,

I was out for 3 weeks after my Brachioplasty and I can't imagine going back any sooner.  I am an Executive Assistant, so I sit at my desk, but I am on a computer all day and I was just so tired at the end of the day, but no pain.  If I had gone back after week two I think it would have been very tuff.  Also, I live in NYC and take subways to work, so I was scared to death about being on the subway and bumping into people!  That might have pushed going back after 2 weeks to the 3 weeks I took.  My PS likes everyone to take a minimum of 3 weeks off if they can for better healing time.

Good luck!!!
Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

BrookeK
on 7/13/09 7:36 am - Arlington, TX
Thank all of you for replying.  I'm thinking about surgery the first week in December.  We are off work (at the school) the last two weeks in December.  I better start my Christmas shopping NOW!

Thanks,

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

Shelly H.
on 7/14/09 3:08 am - Marco Island, FL
Hi Brooke,
I just had a brach on June 17th.  I took a full two weeks off, then was put on 4 hour days for the next week.  I really thought I would be ready after the two weeks, but I was exhausted and so thankful for the half days.  Take your time.
BrookeK
on 7/14/09 5:33 am - Arlington, TX
Thanks for the information.  I am off for the summer and I thought about doing my arms during my time off now, but I am in an intense work out class all summer, trying to build up the muscle before surgery.  Looks like I will be taking off the month of December!

Are you pleased with your arms?

Brooke K
 I am 5'4" tall

hicksgx
on 7/14/09 3:54 am - Hitchcock, TX
I had upper body lift in april.  arms, sides, breasts, implants.  i took 3 weeks off and the first week back i worked half days.  i am at a computer for 8 hours a day.  the swelling was pretty bad even that fourth week.  but after that was easier and easier.  I was so exhausted even after my half days the first week back.  But everyone is different.  It wasn't pain for me.  It was the issue of exhaustion and swelling.  Good luck.
Lost 136 lbs,         
Upper Torsoplasty with Saline implants 4-16-09
Dr. John LoMonaco, M.D. F.A.C.S., www.drlomonaco.com
Most Active