1 more quick ? for LBL recovery

inkerdoodles
on 7/9/09 11:49 pm - Schenectady, NY

UGHHHHHHHH.... does anyone remember my why do families s__k post.... well.... here we go again... LOL

My annoying sister had me on the phone today. She's the one who thinks she's a dr. yeah her..:) Her secretary also had WLS and was told by her physicians NEVER EVER to have the LBL because it's so bad... Yeah right I'd give an arm to have that surgery right about now.... Although I may not be saying that come Tuesday... But Hey... So here  are 2 quick ?'s to relieve the anxiety I now have...

1..... realistically how much pain did you have (realizing everyone's pain tolerance is differnt) once you got home. I am planning to be in the recliner and not too much in bed... my vicodin RX has already been dropped off at the pharmacy and I will be picking it up later today..

and

2.... because of the drains, when you washed (even if it was a sponge bath).... did you (or were you advised) to use an antibiotic soap such as dial? Being that I have 3 dogs (2 dalmatians and a ****er spaniel my sister's afraid I'm going to get all infected... trust me my 80 lb dogs will not be sleeping with me in the recliner.. LOL)

thanks everyone.. I'm sure I'm going to be fine... She's just upped my annoyance level a few bars today.

Hugs,

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/09 12:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
When you're  being sponge bathed, yeah, get the dogs (and the dog HAIR out of the shower/ reclining areas).

DIAL is okay, I would go with Dove, personally. Just gently around the drains, no pulling.

And tell her to screw herself. The LBL isn't THAT bad. Just keep on your drugs for a few weeks. I just had my brachio and boobs done yesterday, and damn, I'm glad for hydrocodone today. Boobies hurt!

You'll be fine! Lots o' water and rest.
valencianahaley
on 7/10/09 12:56 am - weatherford, TX
Hello Lisa,
                I just got back from having LBL, AL and BR and I was in mild pain for about two days, the disconfort is the bad part but trust me, you won't need those drugs, Good luck with your decision,,,,,,
huskerfan85
on 7/10/09 12:51 am - Colorado Springs, CO
For my thigh lift I was told to shower the night before, and the morning of the surgery with an antibacterial soap, and to continue to use the soap daily in the shower.  Funny thing I was also told to make sure to wash my hair and brush my teeth.....never had that direction before...just assumed it was a given.lol.  Good Luck!!
Gayle  6'2" 

Melissa M.
on 7/10/09 12:55 am - Seabrook, TX
To be honest, the pain with my open WLS was worse.  With that surgery I had to whisper for a couple of days because raising my voice caused me to breathe deeper and that hurt!  The first 2 or 3 days are the worst, but not unbearable.  I was off the vicodin after about 4 or 5 days, then tylenol for a couple of days, then nothing.  It also helps if you have someone give you a hand when you are getting up and down that way you aren't using your ab muscles so much.  Not necessary but it's just a nice plus to have.  If I hadn't had to go to the ER and walk so much on day 2, it woudn't have been so bad.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting honestly.

I'm sure you'll be fine!!

Melissa
workingmommy
on 7/10/09 12:57 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Sorry your sister is so unsupportive, you are making a great decision that you will not regret.

1. I was VERY lucky in that I had no pain.  I took my pain killers for about 5 days pretty much so I could sleep.  I also am a very compliant patient and didn't try to do anything too soon or that my dr said not to.

2.  I bathed with my regular Bath and Body works bodywash.  I figured if I had to sponge bathe at least I should smell good.  As far as caring for the drains, I think dr's are different in how they want youto clean them.  Mine wants the tubes stipped and the exit site is cleaned once a day with hydrogen peroxide.

You are going to do great.  I wish you no pain and a great recovery!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

BigCityGirl
on 7/10/09 1:00 am - San Diego, CA
First of all, about your sister, she's never going to be supportive and my advice is to distance yourself from her until after your surgery.  She's only going to make you a nervous wreck prior to your surgery.  

As for pain, make sure you get the OnQ pump installed - that kills most of the sharp pain in the first few days after surgery.  After that, take your narcotic pain meds on schedule and you should do fine.  There will be specific pain when moving, i.e., getting up from the recliner to go to the bathroom, to eat, etc. but it's very tolerable.  Make sure you have someone there for the first week to do the bending and lifting work - like feeding the dog or lifting stuff or reaching for tall cabinets.

Make sure you purchase one of those raised toilet seats from Home Depot - they're about $20 and they're inserted into the bowl without any tools or hassle.  It will really help you the first two weeks.

About cleaning.  I put a flannel fitted sheet over my recliner to make sure I didn't have any germ transfer.  I wore a men's white hanes tshirt under my binder to prevent irritation from the binder (I had surgery in the summer and it was hot and I did sweat in the binder) and also to keep another layer of protection between the incision line and germs.   And like I said a few days ago, I showered every day after the OnQ pump was removed on the second day PostOp.  Check with your surgeon again about showers - I'm surprised that he's not allowing it.  My incisions were covered with surgical tape for about two weeks.  If you decide to ask your surgeon again, make sure you specify "shower" and not "bathing."  My surgeons always make the distinction between the two - bathing is a big problem but showers are usually fine after a few days.  Good luck - I'm sure you will do just fine.  Many of us go through this without any complications and with great results.  In a few weeks, you'll be writing about how you hate your drains and want them out - that will probably be your biggest complaint!
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/09 2:08 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
As others have said pain varies person to person and procedure to procedure.  I had NO pain at all with my breast reduction/lift but did have some pain with my brachioplasty but definitely bearable.
The important thing is to TAKE YOUR MEDS on schedule even if you don't think you need them.  At least for the first 2-3 days just take them....don't wait to feel the pain!!

I have a sister who is a nudge too........it's hard I know!  But I think Donna was right....ignore her until after your surgery and you are feeling better. 

Best wishes for an easy surgery and a speedy recovery!
Ruth
liz73
on 7/10/09 3:41 am

I am 9 days out from a LBL, inner thigh lift, lipo, but lift & augmentation,etc....Dr. said it was basically 6 different procedures.

For the pain, it has been very manageable.  I actually had to have a fentenol patch (sp?) because the percocet wasn't doing it for me but I think that is very rare & I had tons of work done.  Anyhow, with the patch I am in very little to no pain.

For washing, couldn't hurt to use an antibacterial soap but my first sponge bath consisted of Nuetregena body wash and that was done by nurses so I figure I'm doing fine.

That said...this has been the best thing i've ever done for myself.  My life has completely changed, seems dramatic but it's true. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Feel free to request to be my friend so you can check out my pics.  I know for me looking at other before and after pics gave me encouragement to go on with the sx.

-liz

Kristina M.
on 7/10/09 10:50 pm - North East, MD
I had my LBL 3 years ago and I will tell you, you wont remember the pain in 6 months what you will remember is all the new clothes you can fit into and all the new confidence you have without all the extra skin you don't have. Pain is fleeting if it wasn't most of us would only have 1 child. So ignore the family, what I have learned from that over the years is it comes from a place of jealousy. Enjoy the new you and have fun with this new stage of your life.
Kristina
Most Active