tt time off & constipation help questions..thanks

blueigrl
on 7/8/09 5:26 am - port st lucie, FL
I'm having a TT with breast lift on 8/6 and I have a job where they basically chain you to you desk for 8 hrs a day...
1- how long do i reasonably need off?
2-what type, how often, & when did you start (before surgery?) to take something to prevent constipation?  I suffer with it now off and on, so i know it will be bad, and i dread it.
thanks, jo
Susan S.
on 7/8/09 6:29 am - Roselle, NJ
 I am responding to your second question because I got myself into big trouble with my second procedure.....I had a bit of a GI bug post LBL so never had to worry about constipation - but after my brachio/augmentation I waited 5 days to take ducolax and I was already impacted - and in agony (this is from someone with a high pain threshold who did three rounds of plastics!!!)......so....when I had my medial thigh lift I went in with a better plan.  I took ducolax oral on the day postop......and had the suppositories at the ready in case I needed backup.   That worked fine (I tend to try to avoid taking meds if I can but in this case it was a lesson hard learned)....so - if you plan to take pain meds (and you should!) be proactive.     Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

dec721
on 7/8/09 6:30 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I'd take three weeks off if you have it.  I was back at work three weeks after my TT and breast reduction several years ago but still wasn't quite at full-throttle.  And the things I do for constipation are two Fiber Choice wafer thingies a day and four colace stool softeners, two with breakfast and two with supper.  Then if I really am plugged up for days, I'll brew a double-bag cup of Smooth Move herbal tea.  Does the trick!  Best wishes :-)       --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

trudie74
on 7/8/09 8:08 am - Round Rock, TX
It makes a difference if they are tightening your muscles or not...

As for constipation, I started taking Colace once a day 1 week before, upped my water, added a fiber bar and fiber supplement chews each day.  Between all of that I managed to poo regularly, but OMG it still wasn't easy.  Those meds really do a doozy on ya.  Just stay on top of it.  I did use a glycerine suppository one day when I just couldn't get things moving without alot of pushing.  It helped!

Good luck!

dmoore1162
on 7/8/09 9:04 am

My doctor has me off 6 weeks.  I have the same type of job as you have.  Chained to the desk.  While at this point I feel ok and thought no biggie - I could go back after two weeks, I get tired very easily.  You lose a lot of blood during the TT.  So you really have to give yourself time to get your blood built back up and get your strength back.

I don't have a problem with constipation.

Delores Moore
it's never too late

MSHAMO
on 7/8/09 1:08 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I got REALLY backed up, but I started taking Colace and still take it. Everything is real "smooth" now!! If you are already having some problems,  you can start taking 2 Colace a day now, but when you have the surgery, you should take 4 a day. Good luck, you will love your plastics!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Melissa M.
on 7/9/09 2:20 am - Seabrook, TX
I would take a minimum of 4 weeks.  You might be able to do it at 3 weeks but you will most likely tire easily.  I took colace every time I took a pain pill and didn't have any problems.  I went after 3 days but not much.  It got better and better after that.
Most Active