calling all TT and LBL veterans....

inkerdoodles
on 7/7/09 8:24 pm - Schenectady, NY

so I had my final preop consult yesterday... and no bathing until the drains come out.. just sponge bathing.. So please tell me.. How did you all wash your hair? I know it sounds funny, but you always feels so much better when your clean... LOL

6 days and counting....

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Kristina M.
on 7/7/09 8:51 pm - North East, MD
kitchen sink and my husband did it for me. i would sit on a bar stool with the doors under the sink open so my knees would slide in and lean over the sink and just put my head in the sink and he would wash my hair for me. hope this helps.
Kristina
dec721
on 7/7/09 9:33 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I live alone and have really short hair, and I figured out this routine when I was in the hospital with my gall bladder a number of years ago:  I get a wash cloth really wet and run it over my head until the hair is nice and wet, then put a dab of shampoo on the cloth and rub my head again.  It lathers up nicely.  Then I just keep rinsing the wash cloth and rubbing my hair, rinse and rub, rinse and rub.  Before you know it, voila!  Nice and clean!  That way is particularly good if you can't really lean over the sink.  Best wishes on your surgery :-)         --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

dalybenitez27
on 7/7/09 10:17 pm - Orlando, FL
LOL, I would be asking the same question since I have to wash my hair everyday, so out of the different suggestions, be sure to let us know which one worked for you.  I'm so excited for you, surgery day is almost here!!  Whoo-hoo!!!!!!!!
BigCityGirl
on 7/8/09 12:00 am - San Diego, CA
My surgeon allowed showers on day two PostOp and I had an LBL.  I sure would not have wanted to bend over and wash my hair in a sink risking a big wound separation on my backside.  I've have lots of surgery, plastics and otherwise - just had knee surgery last week and the rule has always been, no baths but showers are fine.  And this comes from several surgeons.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Honeyblonde
on 7/8/09 12:00 am - MN
Oh my!  I had my drains in for 4 weeks so I'm glad I didn't have the "no shower" restriction!  I was able to shower the day after surgery.

At first, you'll definitely need help washing your hair.  I would buy one of the spray hoses and hook it up to kitchen faucet to reduce the need for bending or stretching as much as possible.  I would also use a combo shampoo/conditioner so you don't have to spend so much time at it.

Good luck!  It'll be here before you know it!!

~ BJ
MelissaF
on 7/8/09 12:50 am - Northwood, IA
I couldn't shower until the drains were removed.  I washed my hair the day of surgery and then didn't wa**** for 5 days.  I know.. gross but I didn't.  I am a daily showerer and I can tell you it was the last thing on my mind until about day 5 when my head started to uhm.. itch.  Gross right? Then I very carefully did it in the sink with 2 in 1 shampoo using a sprayer. I couldn't bend well so water go everywhere but we cleaned it up.  I swear id do it outside if I coulda but it worked out.  Each time go easier.. did it ever 2-3 days until the drains came out.  Then it was every other day in the shower until 1 month out then daily.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

ilyssajane
on 7/8/09 12:59 am - Forest Hills, NY
Hey Lisa,

I couldn't shower for about 6 days after my surgery.  I washed my hair the morning of surgery, put no products in and just pulled it back into a poney tail.  I didn't wa**** for about another 4 days or so and when I finally did, it was over the kitchen sink.  Just like Melissa, it was the last thing on my mind.  I did try the dry shampoo, but wasn't a big fan. 

Best of luck!!!
Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

workingmommy
on 7/8/09 1:47 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
That is a tricky situation.  I was allowed to shower after 4 weeks..so, the first time we tried this crazy team approach where I sat in the tub on a bin, my husband leaned me back with a towel wrapped around me like a crane and my mom washed.  That, obviously was too much of a hassle.  So I just called the girl that cuts my hair and asked if we could use one of her sinks.  So we went down once a week and my mom washed my hair in her sink.  Between that I tried the Batiste dry shampoo..it was ok.

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

inkerdoodles
on 7/8/09 3:02 am - Schenectady, NY
oi've... i think i'm going to need to be 'creative'... LOL

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Most Active