breast reduction

sunflower74
on 7/7/09 11:22 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with
Hi, new to this board, sorry if this is a repeat question.  

I was told it was best to wait a year after WLS before getting a breast reduction.  Can anyone tell me why?  I am only 4 months post op, but the pain from large breasts is getting more difficult to cope with.  I hate to wait 6 more months, but if I have to, then so be it, but I would like to have a good understanding why.

Also, any advice or stories on the subject are welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

islander
on 7/7/09 12:11 pm - Middletown, RI
Who told you?  What does your Primary say? 

I was slightly more than a yr. post-op when I had it done.  Love it!!  Perhaps they want to see if you lose more weight there.  But if you wait too long insurance may not cover it & you could still be in pain (mine req'd a certain removal volume).  Have you asked a Plastic Surgeon?

I think the fact that you are in pain now should speed up the process.  Are you taking pain meds or receiving some kind of treatment?  It needs to be documented. 

Good luck! 

sunflower74
on 7/7/09 10:02 pm - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with
 My WL surgeon suggested waiting the year.  I had asked him why the long wait, but it was late when I sent the email and hadnt heard back yet.  Anyway, Ive been to my PCP regarding this pain, but that dr was an idiot and not sure how well he charted.  I switched to a new one just before I had my surgery and asked him to document it for this reason.  I need to make an appt with him now anyway because the pain has gotten worse.  When I go, I'll have to ask them to check my records to see of the other doc did any reliable documenting.
Thanks for your input.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/09 2:24 am
I had gastric bypass surgery 5/27/2008, I wore a 44H bra & wanted a redution most of my adult life.
I am now 13 months out & have a normal BMI.  I am now wearing a 36 F, but the only reason for that F is the breast skin that I have to pack into the bra, I have very little breast tissue left & my breasts didn't realy deflate until probably the last 3 months or so.
That being said had I had a reduction say at 6, 7 ,or even 8 months out I would now be left with no breast tissue & nothing but hanging skin, that is why they encourage you to wait until you are done losing your weight .  This way you avoid needing surgery twice.  
If you go on my profile check out the 3rd photo in my album to see the size of my chest before surgery & then look at the 3rd from the last to see what they lok like now (with my skin bunched up in there.
As a matter of fact the 2 consults I have had the PS has told me I would probably need some kind of implants if I wanted them to stay up & be more than a size A once they remove the excess skin!
I know it can be frustrating but they do know what they are talking about...

Hope this helps,
Fab

sunflower74
on 7/8/09 6:35 am - Salem, NJ
VSG on 03/09/09 with
 Thank you, that is helpful.  I heard back from my WL Surgeon and he explained waiting the year gives your body time to adjust to the loss and also gives better results.  So now I totally understand why they would like you to wait.  
I wish I could say that I have lost weight in the boob department, but that hasnt been the case, the cup size (J) is the same, the band size has gotten smaller.  My shoulders and arms hurt sooo bad, plus my upper back, forget it.  Well, I will stick it out as long as I can, maybe start searching around for plastic surgeons in the mean time and see what exactly I will need for insurance approval.  Get the ball rolling so to speak.
Thanks again for your input.

Road Less Travelled
on 7/8/09 8:07 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I did not wait to finish my weight loss

I lived a long life with big heavy breats - that did not get smaller after 70 pounds

now that they are gone - I so wish I had did it sooner

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

Most Active