Yet another DRAIN question, color change

Jessie-F
on 7/4/09 7:51 am
   Had a TT/flank lipo with a BR on Monday June 29th. The drainage (2) seemed fine, clear colored, left side more than right but not that bad, left 6occ daily,right 40cc daily.
    This morning the right drain started to drain a burgundy color. Its not thick nor smelly, and I have no fever. That side is still not draining as much as the left, but I'm concerned about the color. I don't want to disturb my surgeon on this long weekend, hopefully you guys will chime in soon with similar experiences.

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

Melissa M.
on 7/4/09 11:49 am - Seabrook, TX
Mine was koolaid colored in the beginning and got lighter and lighter as time went on.  Right before they got pulled out they were a clear yellow brownish liquid.  Maybe someone else will having an experience similar to yours to share.
Jessica H.
on 7/4/09 12:31 pm - Johnson City, TN
Yep, that happened to me.  I was draining a pinkish color out of my right hip and then all of a sudden one day it became thick and dark and I swear it was blood!  I freaked out and called my surgeon at 11:00 at night!  I'm sure he was laughing at me...anyway, he said it was completely normal for it to change colors like that and if I were really worried that I might be losing blood then I should go to the ER and let them do a blood count on me.  I didn't go to the ER - it was just reassuring to hear him say it was normal.  So anyway, I'll tell you what I tell everyone - I'm not a doctor and if you have any doubts or fears AT ALL, you need to call your surgeon.  But just know that the same thing happened to me and all was fine.  That drain came out a few days later and it never did turn a light color - it stayed a burgandy color until it came out.  Hope this helps...

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

Jessie-F
on 7/5/09 2:34 am
Thanks so much for your reply . Makes sense, as long as there is no fever I will not worry. Today it drained lighter, very little, like 10cc. Maybe its getting ready to come out soon. My surgeon won't take them out until the second post op visit. I have my first post op on Tuesday, hopefully they'll remove this useless OnQ pump!!-Jessie

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

workingmommy
on 7/5/09 8:53 am
RNY on 12/10/07 with
Yep, I had this happen.  One morning I woke up and the output from one of the drains was dark red and when we stripped the tubing, it felt thicker like blood.  I called my dr and he said that as long as I did not have a fever and there was no blood coming out of the actual site where the drain comes out of my body, not to worry, that the fluid changes colors sometimes. 

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Jupiter6
on 7/5/09 1:11 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Just a lil' old blood. Normal!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active