Tummy Tuck in One Week a few questions!

Reggaesue
on 6/30/09 8:40 pm, edited 6/30/09 8:43 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I met with my surgeon yesterday and he is sending me home with a pain pump!  That's good news! I am happy about that!  

My surgery  is next Wednesday (July 8th). I will have my first follow-up on Tuesday, July 14th. The doctor said he will remove the pain pump and probably one drain at this time.

I have my surgical recliner being delivered on Monday, picked up my toilet seat lifter!  Trying to get everything ready!  I left the doctor's office with Scripts for an antibiotic, Colace, and Dilaudid.  

2 questions:
1) I assume the surgical binder has holes in it where the drains come out?  Is this correct?
2) Someone mentioned maybe getting some undershirts for my binder.  Anyone have any comments on this?

I would love any additional advice or suggestions!  I want to have a speedy recovery so that I can get back to a normal summer with my 5 and 7 year old girls!  This old teacher wants to enjoy her summer off!
Suzanne

Ansampson
on 6/30/09 9:31 pm
Maybe your summer is longer than mine's I had surgery on June 4 and I have yet to enjoy this summer. Question # 1: there are no holes in my binder. I attached the JP Drains to the outside of my binder with safety pins. Question # 2: I found the t-shirts to be too hot under my binder. I think people used the t-shirts in place of the tefa (non-stick) gauze. So I just wore my binder without anything. Sometimes my incisions would leak but most of the time not. I have two binders so when one was soiled I could wear the other. Good luck to you on this wonderful journey.
Reggaesue
on 6/30/09 11:15 pm - Brooklyn, NY
 I go back to work on September 8th.  So this is when my summer ends!  LOL

Thanks for the info!
Suzanne

bamagirlee
on 6/30/09 9:49 pm - Phenix City, AL
WOW, your day is fast approaching! How exciting!!
I did not have the total LBL, jus the panni and tt so my binder is for the torso only. It velcros around my mid-section and comes down over my hips. My drains were in each side of the lower pubic area so I didnt have any issues with needing holes in the binder. 

As for the t-shirts, for me they have been a lifesaver for a couple of reasons. As recommended by those on here and my Drs office I got the men's tank tshirts. It keeps the binder from rubbing the skin and causing irritations and it is also a clean, white cotton garment that is next to the scars once you remove the bandages and leave them off. They also keep your compression garment cleaner and it has to be washed less frequently.

Another couple of tips I got from people on this forum are ---- get some type of baby wipes to use until you are able to take a shower. I also used them to strip my drains. It made them easier to grip and kept them cleaner. Extra Strength Tylenol - used this when I came off the hard core pain meds.

I'm sure others will have some tips as well.
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

Reggaesue
on 6/30/09 11:17 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I too am only having a panni and tt.  So I am assuming my binder will be similar to yours!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Suzanne

Lynette N.
on 7/1/09 12:18 am - LA
Good luck on the surgery and a speedy recovery.

I'm glad you posted about the undershirt, I hadn't thought of that.
Lyn
ericas623
on 7/1/09 2:57 am - Roseville, MI
I just had mine on the 29th.  It was suggested to me, that when you get to take a shower, buy some rope or yarn and tie it around the shower head, but really long.  This is so you have somewhere to hang your drain.  It will be hard to hold and do your business while in the shower.
Everything else everyone suggested is great too. 

Maybe something to assist you to go to the bathroom, because I definately needed it!!

Erica
Reggaesue
on 7/1/09 3:55 am - Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the shower suggestion!   I did buy a "Lifter" it raises the toilet seat 5 1/2 inches and has handles on the side!  LOL
Suzanne

MelissaF
on 7/1/09 4:29 am - Northwood, IA
Sounds like you have everything in order! Good for you!!! How excited you must be!!!!! Congrats and can't wait to see u posting once you are on the mend!! Have to let us know how u are doing.  We are here for you!

The pain pumps are awesome! Great!

As for the binder with holes - nope they do not have those, none that I have ever seen.  Would be nice to invent that but the surgeons never put the drains in the same place so it would be hard to come up with that.  Get gauze so u can ball it up on either side of your drain to keep the pressure from the binder pushing it towards your body.  It helps a lot.

As for the t-shirts, I bought Hanes Mens t-shirts b/c they are long.. like 6 of them in a package and LOVE them.. so worth the investment.  U want them longer.  

Good luck!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Reggaesue
on 7/1/09 9:08 pm - Brooklyn, NY
 Thanks so much!  Good Idea about the gauze..... Hopefully my drains will be in a good position.  I'm going to get the t-shirts.....I think this is a good ides....being it's summer....I think I'll get the tank kind.

I'll be posting from the laptop ASAP!

Thanks so much!
Suzanne

Most Active