Sleep anyone?

Rachel1219
on 6/29/09 1:07 pm - IL
I had surgery on Thursday and think my Days and Nights might be reversed.

I cannot get comfortable and cannot sleep at night.  I start off in the recliner, think the bed might work better, try the zero gravity lounge chair, nothing works.  This morning I finally took a shower at 4am and then managed to sleep until 7am.  That was the longest I had slept.

Has anyone else gone though this?  Should I look into something like Ambien?  I know they suggested it in the hospital.  I've never taken anything to sleep before.

I'm only on Extra Strength tylenol now for the pain, which could be the problem.  It helps, but doesn't take the edge off like the Vicodin.  I've had a low grade fever though and the doctor said I shouldn't take the vicodin with the fever. 

So...any help would be appreciated.

-Rachel
O. Kufi
on 6/29/09 1:31 pm

Hi Rachel

I had trouble sleeping too so I have Tylenol pm and it works pretty well for me. Sometimes I take a Extra strength Tylenol and a Tylenol pm.

I hope you get some sleep soon and continue to recover well.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Jessica H.
on 6/29/09 1:40 pm - Johnson City, TN
I had the same problem.  The first week was the worst - it gets better.  Try tylenol pm or benadryl.  benadryl worked great for me.  Also, I'm a side sleeper, which was part of my problem.  I couldn't get comffortable on my back so I piled up couch cushions and pillows to put under my knees to take some of the pressure off my back.  That also helped.  Hope you get some rest soon!

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

bamagirlee
on 6/29/09 9:15 pm - Phenix City, AL
OH the memories your post brings back!!! As soon as I came off the percoset I stopped sleeping at night. It was miserable. Most of mine was that I am a side sleeper and could not get comfortable on my back in the recliner or in the bed. I was back and forth every night for over a week. Finally after a few nights just stayed in the bed with tons of pillows but still never really slept good. I was taking Simply Sleep and it was not doing the job so at about 10 days I started taking mellatonin and have been sleeping better ever since. At 2 weeks I was able to start sleeping on my side SOME too and that helped.  
This just seems to be part of it, and will pass as you are able to get more comfortable. Hang in there! I'm almost three weeks out and am now sleeping good, sleeping carefully on each side.
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

Most Active