Please, please help! TT then weight gain???

Jessie T
on 6/29/09 9:14 pm - Boonies, MN
Hello all, I am really freaking out and want to cry! Please tell me what is going on with my STUPID body!
I had an anchor cut TT with major muscle repair (surgeon said 15cm!) and a hernia repaired three weeks ago yesterday.  He cut 5 lbs of fat/skin off. Recovery has been fine with the exception of the first two days when I thought I'd die of pain. I had my last drain out one week ago and it was only draining an ounce/ 24 hours. I'm still wearing the binder all day but for showering. I am walking an hour per day and resting too.
Here is the problem... one week out from surgery I had lost 11 lbs, I was soooo excited and finally, after 3 years, almost to my goal. Well over night 5 days ago I gained 7 lbs. I figured it was swelling but, I don't feel as swolen today and I am up another two lbs, so over all I am only down 2 from pre-op.  My jeans are really hard to get over my suddenly huge ass and everything seems out of proportion. I love having a tummy that doesn't have a flap anymore and the fact that I have a waist but, WTH is going on??? I haven't been eating any differently than pre-op, I feel like I have to diet now. Someone please help me, I am so depressed.

Ansampson
on 6/29/09 9:33 pm
I'm not sure but I think it's fluid build up. The morning of my surgery I weighted 251.4 and the doc removed 20 lbs pf skin from my body. When I got home I weighted myself again and it was 231.4 which was cool. A week later I weight again at 246. I was getting very concerned but I chalked it up to me not exercising and eating more. I had a plan of action that required me not to worry about it until I was cleared to go back to the gym. This morning the scale said 234. So maybe it is fluids because I am still having issues with swelling. Good luck to you everything will work out once you are able to return to your normal routine.
Jessie T
on 6/30/09 9:20 pm - Boonies, MN
20 lbs!!! WOW you must notice a wonderful difference! Congrats and thanks!

Faith *
on 6/29/09 9:36 pm
This is to be expected so try not to freak out too much.  As long as you keep your same good eating habits, your body will lose the weight/fluid.  Best of luck to you.

People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas. ~Author Unknown

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/29/09 9:46 pm
Relax - you're swollen.  I had the same thing.  went into surgery for an anchor TT and BL at 195 - he took off about 5 lbs - got home and two days later was 210!

Now at one month out I am at 195 - the scale will go down -but focus on your healing - and what are you doing trying to wear jeans, anyway?  LOL - LOOSE fitting clothing!!!!!

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Jessie T
on 6/29/09 10:21 pm - Boonies, MN
LOL I love wearing jeans! They don't hurt my incisions as I am wearing compression stuff under them. I just can't figure out why my gut is gone but the jeans are tighter. My waist measurement is the same as pre op but my hips are a couple bigger and my thighs are almost 2" larger too. GAA maybe it's because I have the binder on so most of the fluid is being pushed down? my ankles are a little swolen too. What a head trip. I am in a wedding in Sept, I hope to Go it's subsided by then. I also have to order the dress in the next two weeks, what am I going to do about that?????

happy girl
on 6/29/09 10:30 pm
I really think it's a normal part of recovery and you are swelling.  You are going to swell for a long time (unless you are lucky).  i am 2½ months out and swell randomly like a mofo.

Put a call into your DR or his nurse and double check, but at 3 weeks post op, I wouldn't worry..

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

Jessie T
on 6/30/09 9:28 pm - Boonies, MN
I had an appointment yesterday and he said he didn't think my swelling was from the surgery... How could it NOT be? My hips now measure the same as they did OVER my apron pre-op. and 2.5" bigger under my flap than pre-op. He blamed my period but, I've never been one to gain alot during TOM. I got some water pills so, we'll see how that helps. Pineapple, lemon water and bromaline haven't helped!

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/09 6:08 pm
Jessie T
on 6/30/09 9:15 pm - Boonies, MN
Thanks, it helps to hear from other people that it's normal. Even thought my surgeon said yesterday he didn't know why I had gained so much over night, that it was probably my period... WTF! I keep reading how many women swell and how much so, I think he's just blowing off my swelling.

Most Active