Numbness? - Long-Term Post Op

Renee M.
on 6/29/09 4:03 am
Have any of you who are further out from plastics - say, 12+ months, still had problems with loss of feeling?  I know it is "normal" for it to last for up to 18 months, but I am 4 yrs out and have just recently discovered that I have no response to hot or cold on my stomach (where I had my tummy tuck.)

I found this out in the worst way possible, ugh...I fell asleep, stomach down, on my heating pad.  If it had've been my back, or leg, or anything but my stomach - I would've woke up when I felt it burning.  I woke up with 2 huge blisters that are second degree burns.

I "tested" to make sure that's what had happened by placing an ice pack over my stomach (bare) - I felt no coldness...just pressure that something was "there".

This is pretty scary, and now I'm going to have some awful scars.  I guess this is just kind of a word of caution to those newly post-op and a question to the older post-ops.  Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?
BigCityGirl
on 6/29/09 4:42 am - San Diego, CA
I have a few dead spots above my LBL incision in the front - maybe extending up about an inch.  But mine are really isolated and I'm sure I would have felt burning from a heating pad - the affected areas are very small. 

You might not have any scaring with the burns.  I've had some nasty burns that have healed well.  Good luck with it.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Renee M.
on 6/29/09 7:08 am, edited 6/29/09 7:08 am
My tummy has always felt "heavy" (I can't explain really) in the front where he did the tummy tuck...It's been a general slightly-uncomfy feeling that can only be described as "being asleep" (like feet do when you sit too long) and weird...Lol. I knew it didn't hurt when I bumped into things and that I had some dead spots but I never realized the whole temperature thing.  I guess I'm kinda thankful I can't feel the burn as of now - I'm sure it would be pretty painful had it been anywhere else on me.  I just wish I would've realized sooner about the temp. thing - before this all happened.

It also worries me because it is right along the center line of my RNY incision (my surgery was open) and is about 2 inches long.  I'm in the process now of being approved for a DS revision (my stoma messed up and I had some internal pouch staples come loose about 6 months after the tuck) and the burn scar will be right where they do the incision for that surgery if I have it.  I hope it doesn't create a big issue :( 
tazfan
on 6/29/09 12:34 pm
I am a little more than 4 years out from tt and still have numbness between my belly button and my incision.  I do not feel most of the time when I lean up against something and will at times find bruises that I have no idea how I got.
This is not unusual in the tummy, my cousin had a c-section 16 years ago and said she still has numbness in the same area. 
Most Active