Twilight vs. General Anesthesia?

Kennedy12
on 6/28/09 10:59 am - Chicago, IL
Has anyone had their plastic surgery procedures using twilight anesthesia verses being knocked out completely with general anesthesia?

I get really nauseous from general anesthesia. It's the worst part of having surgery for me. I throw up constantly for two days, no matter what has been tried.

The only time I've been under without issues is with my colonoscopy, when they used twilight (and versed) on me.

I've been researching it online and see it is a possibility with some plastic surgeons and some procedures, just wondered if anyone here has gone that route?

Thanks in advance for responding!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

jan R.
on 6/28/09 11:18 am - PA
had all 4 of my rounds of plastic surgery using twilight!!  It was wonderful as does general make me very ill.......
I had most with local anesthesia in the surgery area and then they used twilight....but my LBL I had an epidural with twilight......
My doc laughed about all the funny things I said ....and I don't remember a thing!!
LOL
good luck
jan
Kennedy12
on 6/28/09 11:37 am - Chicago, IL
Jan,

Thanks for letting me know this, I am happy to hear it! What four procedures have you had?

Jillian

jan R.
on 6/28/09 11:42 am - PA

Hi!!
    I did my arms and breasts first....(april 07) .....then did my LBL (oct. 07).....then came my side boobs and back rolls...lol (feb. 08) then in May I had my thighs done...had an inner thigh lift with the incision that goes part way down the inside of my leg........(and still have henry my drain attached).....LOL
    I think I am the queen of juice!  I tend to drain forever post op!!

jan

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/09 4:56 pm
Kennedy12
on 6/28/09 10:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Thanks Jodi.

I have mentioned this problem, every time I've had surgery and I've been given every anti-nausea drug and tool I am aware of and it hasn't helped. I've worn the bracelets on my wrists that send electrical impulses that are supposed to stop nausea. I've been given every anti-nausea drug and nothing has worked.

Even when I fractured my arm and was given a lot of morphine in the emergency room, as soon as I sat up, I started to throw up uncontrollably. I think I may be an unusual case...lol

Jillian

CoronaRN
on 6/29/09 2:15 pm - Huddleston, VA
Jillian,

I have the same issue with post op vomiting from anesthesia.  With my RNY, I told my surgeon about it and he gave me "Emend"...it is a pill you take with a sip of water 2 hrs preop.  I NEVER had a bit of nausea post op with my RNY. 

When I had my TT 6 wks ago, I asked my PS to prescribe me some Emend.  He did and I NEVER had any nausea post op.  (And my TT was an outpatient procedure.) 

Apparently Emend is a med they prescribe to cancer patients to help with nausea after chemo.

Tanya
Kennedy12
on 7/1/09 8:53 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks Tanya, I am going to ask about this and give it a try! I would LOVE to wake up without nausea! That is my biggest fear with plastic surgery.

Thanks again!

Jillian

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/09 8:22 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Jillian,
I'm not sure about some of the procedures like the LBL and Inner thigh lift.

I am going to have an arm revision with lipo done next week and i'm doing it with IV Sedation (not general anesthesia).  I can let you know how it goes.......when is your surgery scheduled and what are you having done?  What does your surgeon say about it??

Best wishes
Ruth
Most Active