When will I be normal again???

Jessica H.
on 6/28/09 1:20 pm - Johnson City, TN
I'll be three weeks post op tomorrow.  I'm so tired of sweat pants and t-shirts!  How long was it before you all cold wear normal clothes again?  Also, for those of you that used Spanx - did you swell more in those types of things than you did in the binder?  I wore a Spanx thing today just because my binder wasn't smooth under my dress - and I was really swollen after just a couple of hours.  Is that normal? 

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

trudie74
on 6/28/09 1:38 pm - Round Rock, TX
I'd love to know what to expect too...as for Spanx, I asked my doc about changing over to them after a few weeks of the tough binder, and he said they weren't enough.  I don't know what others have said, but I know some use them.  Interesting to hear...

Jessica H.
on 6/28/09 1:43 pm - Johnson City, TN
As far as the Spanx go, my doc told me I could start using them last week as long as I wasn't swelling too bad in the binder, which I'm not.  Is there any other type of compression garmet that is better than Spanx?  I have one called Assets that I bought from Target - but I think it's basically the same thing as the Spanx.  I really like my binder, it keeps everything in and the swelling down - but it just doesn't do right under clothes...

330/294/161/170

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/09 4:19 pm
boomer65
on 6/28/09 7:48 pm
Jessica,

I'm a little over 5 months post TT with BL/BA and I still wear my version of Spanx occaisionally.  I have the Hanes Smooth Illusions I like them cuz they're easier to get on and not quite as expensive as the Spanx.  I actually found they helped with my swelling.  Once I was released from my binder which was at about 3 weeks I wore them 24/7 for about another 6 weeks or so and gradually weened myself off of them. 

Now I wear them under my workout clothes when I go spinning as I found that I swell quite a bit with that activity and I'm trying to get back into it.  Sometimes I'll wear them on a day I haven't worked out if I'm feeling a bit swollen.

It's going to take some time to get back to what you call "normal".  I still don't feel normal all the time.  From everyone I"ve talked to, it could take up to a year to feel normal every day all day.

Hang in there,
Franci

inkerdoodles
on 6/28/09 10:34 pm - Schenectady, NY

Great info ladies... My surgery is in 2 weeks so all this 'experience' is good for me....

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

bamagirlee
on 6/28/09 11:59 pm - Phenix City, AL
Funny how we all long for 'normal'!  My Dr cleared me to wear a spanx type compression garment at 2 weeks, I'm almost at 3 weeks and am back in the velcro garment, my choice because of the swelling. It might be helping a little but I'm not really sure yet. I do know assets has a variety of different compression garments, some more compression than others. Kohls also has a great selection of that type of garment. I will go there later this week to see if I can find one in between the spanx and the bulky velcro deal.
Good luck to finding 'normal' ! LOL
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

Jessica H.
on 6/29/09 12:07 am - Johnson City, TN
I think I'm going to return my Spanx - they were quite expensive and they are a hassel to get on and off - and I really hope I don't have to go to the bathroom while I'm wearing them!  I'll check out the lipo in a box and the Hanes - I know the Hanes would be much cheaper.  I know it will be a while before I feel completley normal - I just want to be able to wear my clothes again.  I'm also itching to go swimming - do you all think Thursday would be too soon for that?  I'll be 3 1/2 weeks out...

330/294/161/170

MSHAMO
on 6/29/09 12:19 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
 I still wear my binder. I got a Dr. Rey's shapewear, but it doesn't support in the right places. I guess I don't get the swelling thing, I don't get day to day swelling. When I first had my surgery, I was swelled, but after a couple of weeks, I have not been swelled since then. Maybe it has to do with monthly periods, which I don't have anymore!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Kristina M.
on 6/29/09 12:43 am - North East, MD
 I had my surgery June 13th 2007 I wore my compression garment all the time. I did not go back to wor****il Aug 25th and I was still wearing it because I work with High School Special Ed students and was all over the high school and up and down stairs and never sat stills. So it was well into the fall before I switched to the spanx. My PS told me the more running around I did the longer it would take for the swelling to completely go away (up to a year to 18 months).  The only time I really started having it off was at night to sleep. It is a very long process so I am envious of those of you who are already out of your binders. Good luck!!
Most Active