PS, FMLA, and work?

katiekat412
on 6/26/09 12:53 am
Hi All,

Just curious, if your procedure wasn't covered by insurance, was it covered by FMLA?

Is there any chance of getting FMLA if you have surgery outside of the US?

I have plenty of sick days, but I need to apply for FMLA if I miss more than three days of work.

Thanks!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Lynette N.
on 6/26/09 1:01 am - LA
Mine is!
I will be covered by family leave because it is a surgery.  Insurance doesn't factor in anywhere. 
Yip Yip Yippee!
Lyn
Jillian B.
on 6/26/09 2:01 am - Sterling Heights, MI
My insurance covered the skin removal portion so my short term disability insurance paid for my time off work. I was very lucky. I would think FMLA would cover you and it would not matter where you had it done. Good luck.
Jill
283/165/160
surgery weight/current weight/goal weight

katiekat412
on 6/26/09 2:02 am
Thanks! Luckily I have the sick time, which means I would get paid, but I still need FMLA protection.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

ilyssajane
on 6/26/09 2:58 am - Forest Hills, NY
Hi!

So when I had my TT, the surgery itself was not covered by my insurance, but I did get paid STD and I had FMLA coverage.  That was 2 years ago.

Then I had an upper body lift (arms and upper torso) and that again was not covered by insurance again but I did not get STD this time but did have FMLA coverage. 

The difference was, my companies insurance (BCBS) used to cover gastric bypass and lapband when I got my gastric bypass 4 years ago and 2 years ago it still did.  But this year, they changed and won't cover any WLS and changed insurance companies (Aetna).  So I was told that since my cosmetic procedure is due to major weight loss stemming from Gastric Bypass that they wouldn't pay my STD.  They won't cover anything health insurance or STD insurance if it's related to Gastric Bypass.

I know that is long story.  Sorry!  Good luck!

All best!

Ilyssa
RNY 6/22/05 = 268 * TT 2/22/07 = 164 * Arm Lift 1/16/09 = 170
Happy in life and that is all that matters!!!!

KaRaMeL BoMbSheLL
on 6/26/09 3:46 am - Dallas, TX
You may need to contact you HR dept about FMLA outside of the US...but FMLA protects your job security. My PS was parent paid and I am now being paid by my short term disability and protected by FMLA. I opted out of using my PTO...short term covers me for up to 26 weeks.

"When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it."
-Bernard Bailey

Lisa0719
on 6/26/09 8:19 am - PA
i didn't think FMLA applied if surgery was considered elective and cosmetic?  and the way to prove not totally cosmetic was to get insurance approval of some kind proving it wasn't just being done for cosmetic reasons?

104 lbs lost now Maintenance BABY!!!! 

cbhjr98
on 6/26/09 4:39 pm
BLUF: (Bottom Line Up Front): if you had to stay overnight and was admitted - it automatically falls in under condition 1 and it's covered - just get your doc to sign a time off form.

This is taken from the DOL website...

Serious Health Condition

"Serious health condition" means an illness, injury, impairment, or physical or mental condition that involves:

• any period of incapacity or treatment connected with inpatient care (i.e., an overnight stay) in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility; or
  • a period of incapacity requiring absence of more than three calendar days from work, school, or other regular daily activities that also involves continuing treatment by (or under the supervision of) a health care provider; or
  • any period of incapacity due to pregnancy, or for prenatal care; or
  • any period of incapacity (or treatment therefore) due to a chronic serious health condition (e.g., asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, etc.); or
  • a period of incapacity that is permanent or long-term due to a condition for which treatment may not be effective (e.g., Alzheimer's, stroke, terminal diseases, etc.); or,
  • any absences to receive multiple treatments (including any period of recovery therefrom) by, or on referral by, a health care provider for a condition that likely would result in incapacity of more than three consecutive days if left untreated (e.g., chemotherapy, physical therapy, dialysis, etc.).

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
katiekat412
on 6/28/09 8:49 pm
Thanks so so much!! This makes me feel better until I am closer to actually filing!!

MelissaF
on 6/27/09 6:05 am - Northwood, IA
My STD company excludes all "cosmetic surgeries".

I was able to fight it (took a while) with the wording of "reconstruction" after "disfigurement" resulting from "massive weight loss".  Basically this is what my doc told them and myself.  

FMLA covered it no questions asked.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Most Active