Newbe with questions

Lynette N.
on 6/26/09 12:59 am - LA
My WLS was in November and I am planning PS.  BL and TT.
For those of you who had PS, did you tell everyone or keep it private?
I want to keep it quiet, but am so pumped I doubt I will be able to keep it a secret.

My reasonings for keeping it private stems from the comments received after WLS from people thinking they were my own personal diet police.
Lyn
Wendy_Canada
on 6/26/09 5:54 am, edited 6/26/09 5:54 am - Canada
Hi Lynn

I know what you are talking about.  With my WLS there were some people including family members i did not tell about my surgery until months after it was over and the weight was dropping off me.  These are the people that have known someone who knew someone who's sister cousins aunt had the most terrible experience.  Do you know the ones i'm talking about?  Then there are some i did tell and i got " your taking the easy way out"  Well I have lost 187 pounds and she is still over 300.  I figured I don't need to answer anything back to her. 

Then there are some at work (i work in the public in a health related field) that some i told i am doing the plastic surgery. Those are the ones that has seen where i was and where i am now and i share aspects of my life with but as a rule I am not telling many I am having the plastic surgery. I am to the point that i don't want to tell people that i use to weigh 327 and now i'm 140 and have to explain "how i did it"  # 1 i don't feel i want or need to explain it to people and
#2 I just want to  be a normal person , nothing special or different about me compaired to the average joe on the street.  Surprisingly the negative family members at the beginning are almost all behind me for this plastic surgery part.  They say i deserve to do this for myself.  Two negative comments were that in this economy it wasn't a good time to spend this kind of money on myself to which i came back i'm not asking anybody for the money but thank you for your concern and the second was from someone very close to me that has been finding it difficult with my weight loss and now this saying i'm anorexic and people who have this surgery look like plastic and aliens which i calk up to jealousy. that one hurts the most considering where its coming from but I am doing this "for ME"

I guess you just have to be choosy who you confide in just like everything else.  You not going to please everyone but that doesn't matter your not doing this for them your doing it for YOU only.

Good Luck with your adventure

Wendy

islander
on 6/26/09 6:05 am - Middletown, RI
LOL!!!  If I know people (and like them), I'll tell them about surgeries.  If I don't know them or want to have the last laugh- I'lll say diet & exercise did the trick!

Lynette N.
on 6/26/09 11:11 am - LA
Taking the easy way out?
Just thinking - when was the last time anyone had an issue and looked for the most complicated way to resolve it? 

I get the comments "You are getting to thin" "you're wasting away to nothing" and I feel they are meant to be positive although I am not real sure how that is a positive comment.  Riddle me this: My BMI is still in the overweight range so how can I be to thin? 
Lyn
O. Kufi
on 6/26/09 11:57 am
Don't you wish the diet police had a mind your own business police. For the same reason I have kept all of my surgeries private on a need to know basis.

On the other hand my husband who was just approved this week for WLS was telling everyone beforehand and that he has been approved.

I wish I was more like him because WLS can help to save lives. I will do it my way quietly one at a time while he tells the world.

I just am very private and don't like waking up with the world in my business. I am getting better but definitely do what works for you. I was and am still excited but selective.

Don't let anything or anyone stop you from enjoying this journey.

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

Lynette N.
on 6/27/09 12:32 am - LA
I hear ya!  I am sharing my entire experience and success as well as any struggles with those who may benefit from it.  I try to stay clear of the naysayers!
Lyn
thirdact
on 6/28/09 2:06 am

I was very open with people close to me, especially at the office -- simply because I really needed support (I live alone) and needed to enroll people around me in my success since I was scheduled to be out of the office for three weeks.

I cut off people who give me advice on what I should be doing with "I spend so much time getting expert medical advice that I don't want to confuse it with other input -- even doctors disagree so I'm just focused on what mine says."   

It is a little irritating to me that some people seem to get a lot out of being the town crier and want to share my personal surgery news with folks that weren't on my list.  I have decided to deal with that because the broader support was more important to me -- but that's a definite risk.  On the balance, I'm so glad my boss and colleagues were crystal clear I was unavailable for medical reasons while out. 

Good luck!

Most Active