Is an external hernia likely to get any plastics covered?

Roodog
on 6/24/09 1:03 am
I'm looking at needing to have a hernia repair on a hernia right above my belly button.  It makes sense in MY mind that if the muscles are all loose up there I'm more likely to have more hernias, so that a TT would prevent further problems.  BUT...not sure that makes medical sense or that the insurance company would see it that way.  Would be interested in any experiences!  Thanks.
inkerdoodles
on 6/24/09 1:17 am - Schenectady, NY
I would suggest you pose this ? to your insurance carrier.. Mine specifically excludes it... But that doesn't mean that yours will as well.

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

jonscutie
on 6/24/09 1:36 am
My insurance was willing to cover mulitple hernia repairs that I needed but not a TT. They would not pay for the hernia repair if it was done at the same time as the TT - go figure. They had to be 2 separate surgeries. I saw 4 plastic surgeons who all said the hernia repairs would be stronger if part of the TT. One of the hernias I had had repaired before and it had reoccurred. I chose to self pay and had the hernias repaired as part of my TT/BL. It didin't cost me any more than it would have without the hernia repair. My surgeon said hernia repairs are pretty standard with a TT.
Jupiter6
on 6/24/09 2:02 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My hernia got me 2 free nights in the hospital but no lessening of other bills--- sorry!

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Lynne R.
on 6/25/09 3:35 am - Houston, TX
Most of my tummy tuck was paid due to my hernia.

Lynne

scrappywings
on 6/25/09 6:36 pm - Riverside, CA
I have a very large hernia that the insurance co. approved right away.  They also denied the removal of skin, but once I appealed it with a letter from my primary doc. stating that he had been treating me for a rash they approval it all.  So I will have a surgeon and a plastic surgeon doing the surgery.  The only thing that was in question of muscle tightening and I just found out today that the plastic surgeon will make sure that it also gets done.  I will only have my 10% to pay with a cap of $1,000.

Good luck, just remember you are your best advocate.  Do not rely on the insurance co or doctor office to take care of things.
Most Active