Today's the day!

Jupiter6
on 6/24/09 2:34 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
In 7 short hours I'll be on the table! Here's the details! (Telling it helps keep me calmer)

I'll be having:
mastopexy

My breasts have almost no volume left at all. I was a 48H and he expects if I am lucky I will be a 30B when I am done. He likes to augment with fat from the sides, but I don't have any there either.

My surgeon uses a technique that doesn't leave a scar from the nipple to pedicle (the lollipop scar), just around the aereolae. The support comes from some clever internal stitching at the pedicle. I cannot auto-donate any tissue, so I will be quite flat. I'm okay with it.

hernia repair
Finally confirmed what I suspected for months-- I have a big ol' hernia just above my belly button. Despite rumors to the contrary, it doesn't bring my operative costs down any further, but BCBS is now paying for a two night hospital stay. My surgeon wants me out as soon as possible though, to avoid staph and mersa.

massive brachioplasty
Luckily he has a lot of experience with the larger arm reductions. He's going to make mine as tight as he can without compromising mobility, a straight incision with a zig zag at the armpit-- and I will probably lose all my underarm hair. Shame, that. ;)

extended anchor cut abdominoplasty with panniculectomy
I already have a central scar from my open surgery-- so he's going to use it to make my stomach muscles tight. He will slice them down the center, then cross suture them like a corset. Then he bundles up my skin from both sides, pulls it towards the center, and removes the excess. This was at my request-- and he completely concurs-- because the LBLs I've seen looked squarish and boxy and I am very curvy. This approach should give me a flatter upper and lower belly and more defined waist curve. He's going to extend the incision into my back to eliminate dog ears and so iit can join up with the back later when I do my backside and thighs.

costs

This started out around $18k. Then the panniculectomy was approved, bringing it down to $15k. The hernia was also approved, but since they'd already discounted for one procedure no further discounts happen except the free 2 night stay at the hospital. I am still in process with BC BS about the remaining skin removal because it's absolutely medically necessary due to skin breakdowns and lesions, all of which were extensively documented. I'll be appealing if denied.

donations
May be too late-- but I did request that he try to donate it. I didn't make arrangements in time to prep the skin, though-- so I will donate it to a local college. I will probably be needing blood products myself-- I am being typed/crossed just in case.

weight loss
Skin weighs less than you'd think. Maybe 8-10 pounds, tops.

time

Over 12 hours in the OR, 2 days in the hospital, and the rest is up to the Flying Sketti Monster.

recovery
At my parents bayfront condo in VA Beach. Rented an electric hospital bed with eggcrate pad. Bought a toilet extender and already have a shower chair. Have a TV with DVD player, books, magazines, a special over-bed laptop shelf, 10 episodes of my favorite radio show on my MP3 player.

meds

Picked up prescriptions for antibiotics, anti nausea meds, pain killers and sleeping pills.

That's my story, except the part where I am scared to death-- of not being able to poop...of those last few minutes before you go under and that shuddering terror and pain when you awaken. I've done it too many times at this point and it's still fresh in my mind. I'm scared of being on the table for so freaking long. I am scared that it's vain (even if it is reconstructive) and a vengeful universe might snuff me out for doing this unnecessary, stoopid thing. I'm scared of a long, slow, painful recovery. I'm scared of having to pay the loans back for this and still save for the next and hopefully final phase next year. I'm scared of not having boobies. I'm scared I'll not be able to get back on plan, regain it all and it will all have been in vain.

But mostly pain- I'm scared of pain. In no uncertain terms, I was told to expect a lot of it-- and I do, but man, I dread it.

Hope this answers any questions-- and with any luck I migt be back here posting by Sunday. If not, my Sig Ot will keep people posted, I think.

Peace, y'all. Play nice, and see me on the other side, won'tcha? ;)

-Love, Luck and Lollipop-Free Scars
Shari

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

brenda F.
on 6/24/09 3:18 pm - whitney, TX
 Shari ,wishing ya all the luck gal .can't wait to hear from you .please let us know  how things went .blessings Brenda in TX ..
was 400+ june 15th,06,..now 145-150 as of may15th,09 ... wow!!!what a ride .   
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/09 4:57 pm
DEBI R.
on 6/24/09 8:57 pm - CORSICANA, TX
Good luck Shari, I know you'll do great!!  Keep us posted.
Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Ansampson
on 6/24/09 9:35 pm
Shari you are an amazingly strong woman. I have no doubts that you will overcome this and recover quickly. Now I know you are truly human as we all have fears. I'm sending positive vibes your way and will continue to do so until your body is healed. The recovery process was the hardest for me but you seem to have things in order. There is no way you will regain anything you're too focussed and aware for that to happen. Best wishes and I'm praying for you a speedy recovery.
Renee2007
on 6/25/09 12:04 am - Central, FL
I'm thinking of you Shari and hope everything goes well. The pain will be a distant memory after awhile and you'll be so glad you did it! I titally understand your fears. I am right there with you on that one. Hang tough!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

speicallady
on 6/25/09 1:03 am - bronx, NY
hi Shari

Just think how good you will look
I am wishing you a speedy recovery

Debra
Cindy F.
on 6/25/09 2:52 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
Wish you a perfect surgery and a speedy recovery.  Even though scary it iwll be so worth it.  Especailly when it is all done!!!!!  Please let us know how your doing.

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
MelissaF
on 6/25/09 4:05 am - Northwood, IA
I am waiting on pins and needle to hear how everything went - which I know will go well... you deserve to be happy with your body as far as you have gotten.  I can tell you every single fear you mentioned whent through my head also... I think it is very common esp the guilt part.. what if I don't make it and I am doing this for vanity.. it isn't vanity girl, its reconstruction.  If it were vanity we would be Barbie already going in for a "nip tuck".  We are not.

Can't wait to see u on the other end of this... praying for you and wishing you well..
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

dreamseeker
on 6/25/09 4:40 am
best wishes and big hugs to you girl.  You have every right to be nervous and scared but I am sure you will come through this with flying colours.  I will be swinging chickens  and pryaing for ya. :)

Marnie 

Most Active