Panni removal and Insurance

Jobsies
on 6/24/09 9:38 pm - Pitman, NJ
When I had my nine month appointment with my surgeon he mentioned that I will most likely need to have the excess skin on my stomach removed before hitting goal due to my huge weight loss already. He said that it will start to get in the way of my exercising. He said he'd give me a name when I was ready.

I know I have a very slight hernia.  I am hoping between that and the size of my panni, I won't have too much trouble getting approved. I haven't had any rashes.  But, thinking back to the sixteen months of fighting for WLS I am worried.

I am thinking of getting the name from my surgeon when I hit one year in September.  Time wise I can't do surgery except in the summer.  Fall is our busy time at work and my boss nearly went crazy when I had the WLS so I don't want to do that to her again.  Then I do taxes so winter is not an option either.

Do you think if I start in the Fall, I could get approved and have surgery in July of next year?  I figure having an extra year --- I should be pretty close to goal anyway (at least I sure hope so). 

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

Ansampson
on 6/24/09 9:51 pm
You can always begin the process early. I suggest you contact your insurance company first to see if reconstructive surgery is even covered by your plan. Start having your PCP or surgeon document any and all problems related to your stomach. My insurance wouldn't cover mine's because I did not have enough skin breakdowns. One was enough for me to know I didn't want to ever experience that again. My surgeon told me that having my excess skin removed will free me uop to exercise more. I'm looking forward to taking a cycling class. Haven't been released to the gym just yet but I'm getting close. Good luck with the process and remember the early bird gets the worm.
(deactivated member)
on 6/25/09 12:09 am
Donna R.
on 6/25/09 2:18 pm, edited 6/25/09 2:18 pm - Northwest, GA
Check out a fellow OH member's blog:

http://www.gingerrock.blogspot.com/
Most Active