Questions about insurance and plastics

Sarah C.
on 6/22/09 5:01 pm
Ok, I'm nowhere near ready for plastics yet (will be 6 months post-op RNY July 5). However, this does not mean I'm not starting my research.

Anywhoo, I was wondering about insurance coverage and plastics. I know most plastics are self pay, but I was wondering if enough documented skin irritations could be used to convince insurance that it's a necessity and not just cosmetic.

Right now, the undersides of my breasts are constantly raw and skin is just falling off. My boobs are headed toward my knees, and the sagging and rubbing is taking its toll. I have taken pictures each time these little bouts occur.

In addition, I'm forming a similar irritation below my lower abdomen just above my pubic area. Off to find the camera shortly and take some pics of that.

Would these sorts of things be acceptable documentation? Do I need to set up appointments with my physician too?

Like I said, I've got a while before plastics are going to become a "real" issue, but I like to be prepared.

Thanks!!!
DEBI R.
on 6/22/09 5:19 pm - CORSICANA, TX

Pictures are good but you also need your Dr to document the rash. The Dr will give you a prescription for some ointment to use and the insurance will want to see that the ointment isn't clearing it up and that you have to keep seeing the Dr for your rash.

Good luck with everything, I got approved for my arms and panniculectomy due to rashes but paid for my circumferential TT and anchor cut myself. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Ansampson
on 6/22/09 8:36 pm
Please see your PCP so the issues can be documented. I believe that is one of the main reasons my insurance didn't pay for my surgery. I only had one breakdown and I didn't follow through. I can tell you after one breakdown I wasn't going to risk another. It was painful so I did everything I could to avoid moisture in those skin folds. With the way my stomach was hanging I knew this wasn't going to be a good summer for me. So I bit the bullet and paid for my plastic myself. Good luck to you and I would suggest to begin saving to either add more than the insurance would pay or to be a step ahead of the game in case the insurance doesn't pay. 
inkerdoodles
on 6/22/09 8:52 pm - Schenectady, NY

You have been given such good advice already.. The only thing addiitonal I would add would be to contact your insurance carrier NOW to see what the requirements are and even if they cover reconstructive Breast Surgery... Some companies have certain surgeries as an exclusion regardless of medical necessity... My insurnace will not cover my upcoming surgery because I did not have enough 'documented antibiotic resistant' rashes.. Just having rashes wasn't good enough...

Also start saving your pennies now... You never know what you may hate as you get closer to goal.. I swore that loosing weight would be enough for me... And now I'm schedule for a Belt Lipectomy in 3 weeks....

good luck !!!!

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Sarah C.
on 6/23/09 5:18 am
Thanks so much for all of your advice!! I really appreciate it. Guess I'm off to call the PCP.

Thanks!!!
Most Active