WTH happened????????

huskerfan85
on 6/23/09 3:30 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Boy have I had the morning from hell....could not sleep so got up to dump the drains, ate some breakfast, felt the need to use the bathroom so since the garment was off decided to shower....now I have showered before with no issues, but for some reason this morning I passed out...tried to stop it by changing the water temp, but found my self at the bottom of the tub where my head smacked the corner nice size goose egg to prove it LOL......my mom thinks I may have lost more blood than the doc let on....after all this is day 6 after surgery.  Oh well just taking it easy today and lying around.
Gayle  6'2" 

bamagirlee
on 6/23/09 3:43 am - Phenix City, AL
Oh Gayle I'm so sorry to hear that! I would encourage you to call the Dr and let him know so that he feels bloodwork is necessecary you can get that taken care of ASAP. 
You take care of yourself girlie!!! Let us hear from you or we'll be calling 911 on your skinny thigh self!
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

Kristina M.
on 6/23/09 3:58 am - North East, MD
Just so you know I was still passing out when taking off my compression garment weeks after surgery. It constricts everything so much you really shouldn't be doing things on your own when taking that off.
huskerfan85
on 6/23/09 6:18 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Wow thanks for the info....I just can't believe it is the garment, as mine is a little on the big side...but since I have never worn one before maybe it is.  It did happen once with the garment on though so I guess you never know, the doctors office was not real concerned.
Gayle  6'2" 

huskerfan85
on 6/23/09 6:17 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Doctors office said it may be anesthesia reactions.  I have not had any issues before with anesthesia so guess this is a new chapter.
Gayle  6'2" 

Susan S.
on 6/23/09 5:22 am - Roselle, NJ
 Many patients experience hypo-tensive reactions when compression comes off - I ddn't - but I was sure warned about it.  As to your mom's suspicion - why is it when we have a predictable outcome somebody thinks the doctor screwed up or is being deceptive.  You're only 6 days out from major surgery that requires compression.  What happened to you is a typical outcome.    Your body needs time to recover! Ice that gooseegg......and feel better.   Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

huskerfan85
on 6/23/09 6:15 am - Colorado Springs, CO
On June 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time, Susan S. wrote:
 Many patients experience hypo-tensive reactions when compression comes off - I ddn't - but I was sure warned about it.  As to your mom's suspicion - why is it when we have a predictable outcome somebody thinks the doctor screwed up or is being deceptive.  You're only 6 days out from major surgery that requires compression.  What happened to you is a typical outcome.    Your body needs time to recover! Ice that gooseegg......and feel better.   Susan
This is the second time it happened, and the first time my garment was on.  My mother is a retired nurse who was told by the recovery nurse that I had lost a substantial amount of blood.  No one said anything about there being issues when I take off the garment.  I also have my doubts about the garment being the issue not only as it happend with it on, but it is a little on the big side...I am more worried about the garment not being tight enough, as it bags on me now....

I will take better care and make sure I leave the garment off a little longer before I step into the shower, and maybe a cooler shower will also help.  Thanks for the info it is appreciated!!

Gayle  6'2" 

Susan S.
on 6/23/09 6:23 am - Roselle, NJ
 Your plan to give yourself a little more time after you remove it is right on - I was told - remove the garment - sit down on the potty for a bit then stand and move........as to blood loss - I'm not sure what procedure you had but I lost a lot of blood as well  - my surgeon requires us to bank 2 units for an LBL and I was given my two plus a third.....it's a big operation.    I didn't mean to challenge your mom's thinking in a mean way (particularly knowing both her background and the source of your info.).......you could have a low hematocrit - and it takes a few weeks to rebuild hemoglobin.  I never had problems with anemia pre-plastics - but I did supplement with iron for 60 days post LBL - I bounced back enough in that time to have two more procedures.  So - perhaps a slow release iron supplement is in order - make sure you're hydrated...and take it slow....I just had my scars relasered yesterday - so I have screaming scars all over - and it's reminding me of the early postop days.....lot to adjust to........so heal well.........(do you have a bike helmet??!? )  just kidding.     Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

huskerfan85
on 6/23/09 6:32 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Susan, I did not take what you said in a mean way at all!  My doc usually does not put in drains, but I have two as it was such a big operation, even though he only took of 5 pounds....I have incisions on the inside from groin to knee and outside from about mid hip to but cheek....
I have not had any anemia issues since my hysterectomy in 2000, but am working on eating lots of iron rich foods right now as I do not have any extra supplements, and really just don't feel like going out today (storming) but will get some tomorrow.

That bike helmet idea is a good one  LOL maybe I will need to try that. Thanks again I know you have been there done that so respect your opinion.  I am just floored that no one told me to be careful with taking off the garments.  At least I see the doc tomorrow so maybe will get some better answers...right now they are saying reaction to anesthesia.

Gayle  6'2" 

Cindy F.
on 6/23/09 5:44 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
Your right that is the morning from hell.  sorry this happened to you.  I think you should just call your dr. and let him know.  See if he has any suggestions for you.  and then just take it easy.

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
Most Active