Thighs Covered by Insurance? Procedure Code?

Kennedy12
on 6/23/09 1:23 am - Chicago, IL
Hi All,

I have a date for my upper arms & side lift, and thigh lift. Looks like I will be getting both done September 18th.

For those of you that had your thighs done and your insurance covered it, do you know what procedure code was used?

Did you have problems getting your thighs covered? Have to appeal?

I will have to have the incision from groin to knee to fix mine, as I have a ton of excess skin (and fat pockets) all the way down. I even have excess skin on my upper calves, that I am hoping he can address too.

I have no idea what my insurance is going to say, so I am trying to prepare, as much as possible!

I am working on getting before pictures, so I can post them. I know how much I appreciate seeing others before and afters.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

DEBI R.
on 6/23/09 6:29 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I googled it  and came up with code 15832 for a thigh lift.
I haven't had mine done yet I'm trying to save for my breasts next.

Good luck with your insurance company, keep us posted. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Jeannine L.
on 6/24/09 7:33 am - Dover, DE
Looks like we're in the same situation. I went for my first plastics consult today and the surgeon, who specializes in reconstructing bariatric patients, said he's never had a thigh lift covered by insurance. 

I, knowing how hideous my thighs look to me, assumed that once he saw me nekkid he'd sing a different tune. Not so. Even though I have a ton of hanging skin from groin to knee, he doesn't think it's bad enough that BC/BS will consider surgery medically necessary.  Ridiculous considering I have to wear a girdle (waist to knee) to hold my jell-o skin taught or the jiggling is painful and the excess skin causes me to walk in an awkward fashion. 

He said there's a chance if I can get a letter from my PCP indicating that the hanging skin is causing rashes and no form of treatment has helped during the last 6 months, I may have  a *slim* chance of having the thigh lift covered by insurance. He said that without the letter, I have no hope. Since I haven't been treated for rashes, the 6 month clock would start ticking now and still there's no guarantee surgery would be covered. so I may self-pay. 

I can live with the soft tummy, and saggy arms/upper back, but the thighs must go!

Kennedy12
on 6/24/09 7:41 am - Chicago, IL
Jade,

I understand how you are feeling. Let me know what happens for you. I will do the same. I have my fingers crossed!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

Most Active