Question for those who have had LBL?

MelissaF
on 6/20/09 3:11 pm, edited 6/20/09 3:12 pm - Northwood, IA
Were you incisions on your backside more red and prominent than anywhere else?  I am noticing most of my incisions fading and very thin except the ones going down to a "V" on my behind.  Those are a bit wider and more red in appearance.  Is that pretty normal considering my hips and front don't get laid on as much?  They still have a twinge of pain also from time to time.. but not the others.  I am still using the silicone strips and wearing the garment faithfully.  I am approaching 8 weeks out soon.

Thanks!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

cbhjr98
on 6/20/09 10:00 pm
Strangely enough the scars on my backside seem to be less than those on the hips and front. They seem to have faded more and thinner. I too, still have twinges of pain and bouts of numbness in certain areas. I'm guessing like bad knees and weather changes, this will probably be a forever type thing.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
MelissaF
on 6/21/09 1:57 am - Northwood, IA
Thanks so much Cass.  Interesting how we are all so much different.  I am feeling more numb in areas or noticing I am more numb in areas than I was before.  I tried to go without the garment last night for a trial run.. not happening yet.  That thing is my security blanket.  Another way how we all differ so much.  So weird!  
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Honeyblonde
on 6/20/09 11:09 pm - MN
Hi Melissa!

Definitely!   My incision in the "V" took MUCH longer to heal, and even after 6-7 mo. I still get "twinges".  I'm sure it's because of the additional pressure and pulling that happens in that area.  Also, the rest of my incision is flat, smooth and starting to fade, but it's a little bumpy in that spot.

Cheers!  Have a great day!

~ BJ

MelissaF
on 6/21/09 1:55 am - Northwood, IA
Thanks BJ, I was thinking the same thing, it obviously pulls more there because it is more of a lift procedure back there and the front is more of a pull down procedure, makes sense.  The counter pressure is something intially postop with the differences in the pulling.  I have a few spots that look a little "cinged" almost - slightly puckered but I have heard those do flatten in time.  I hope so, but overall they are looking pretty good.  Above my mons a bit "splotchy" and he was worried about tissue perfusion initially postop to that area as it is the farthest from the blood supply but it did heal fine just not a defined scar line more splotchy in appearance?  Also have some hard tissue under the skin there.. he says it is scar tissue and to massage it.  It almost appears like a "ledge" especially from one side.  Sorta bothers me but at the same time it may go down yet he wants me to wait a year and keep "working it".  Did you experience anything like this?  Just curious.  Thanks so much for letting me know I am not alone with the "v" thing :-)  Have a good week!
Hugs, Melissa 

Honeyblonde
on 6/21/09 10:25 pm - MN
Hey Melissa - I don't have any "ledges" or bumpy spots, except right in the "V" area.  On the area above my mons, the scar is so fine, I can't really see it at all.  The scar on my right side is a little darker and higher up than on the left side.  It's definitely higher than some of my lower rise pants/jeans so I make sure to have a long tank or something so I'm not flashing my scars!

Take care!

~ BJ
Leslie
on 6/21/09 2:04 am
Yes, I had a similar situlation, but I also had several spots that opened in the back, so it took longer to heal and it was a little more painful. I also had the thick areas under the skin that did smooth out and go down. The scars on my back look better now. Not red anymore and fading nicely. I'm sure the same will happen to you. It just takes time.

4 Years Post Op: At Goal And STILL Loving My DS!  
340/180/180  ~  5'11"  ~   I lost 160 lbs!!  
LBL & Hernia Repair: Done! Arm Lift: Done! Next Up: Thighs & Boobs!
Get the facts about Duodenal Switch at
DSFacts.com

MelissaF
on 6/21/09 3:05 am - Northwood, IA
Thanks Leslie.  I am glad you are healing up good now.  It is nice to know that in time they will flatten out and fade.  I just need to be patient ;-)
Hugs, Melissa 

poodles5
on 6/21/09 6:33 am - Seymour, IN
Hi Melissa ! I am 8 weeks out also and you have described MY incision perfectly. It is more red in back at the V....I also get a twinge there on occasion just like a "stick" or something. Wonder if it's an internal stitch? And like you the front also has a ledge where it's elevated, I was told I could massage the front scar there now with Vitamin E cream....to massage up/down, crossways, and circular...he said while the scar is red and raised, it can be massaged down. It's when it's faded and flatter you can't manipulate it.
Jane
MelissaF
on 6/21/09 1:42 pm - Northwood, IA
Wow we are so alike!!  Do you feel hardness beneath the suture line above your pubis when you massage (creating the ledge essentially?)  I have this... I do not like massaging it so I don't do it as much as I probably should  - maybe twice a day?  I am still wearing silicone strips and when I put oil on they don't stick very well after at all so I have to do the oil before I shower if  I use that.  it is almost like it isn't the suture line itself but more the tissue below? is that how it is for u?
Hugs, Melissa 

Most Active