Just starting to think about PS.....how much can be done at once?

Mommy2C
on 6/21/09 10:45 am - NC
I am considering PS, and probably can only handle one operation.  I'd like to get abdominoplasty and a thigh lift (inner thighs at the top are bad...towards the knee, not so much). 

Can they cut horizontally at the top of the leg instead of the vertical cut?  If I pull my leg skin up with my hands, it looks so much better!  Also, I was wondering if they could do the thigh lift with the tummy tuck, and even if they could do more if I wanted....like breast lift and brachioplasty.  I'm not good with recovery, so if I do it, I want to knock it all out at once.  Not sure if I'd have the courage to go for round two....I have low tolerance for pain!

I'd settle for the thigh lift and tummy tuck, but it'd be nice to get the boobs and arms done too, if that's possible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Lisa-
Wendy_Canada
on 6/21/09 11:46 am - Canada
It all depends on the individual doctor.  I am having a TT with the anchor cut and breast lift in one week (5- 6 hour surgery.)  I wanted my arms done at the same time but the doctor said that is to much time for me to be under plus you don't want a tired doctor.  I have heard of others say they get more done all at once so all depends on who you go to.

i understand you not wanting to go more than you have to,  I had two knee replacements in 2006 4 months apart.  The second one was harder to do because i knew what i was in for.  BUT i'm so glad i did it.  I am getting nervous  now and anxious to. 

Good luck on your decision.

Wendy

workingmommy
on 6/21/09 1:38 pm
RNY on 12/10/07 with
I think it definitely depends on the surgeon.  Mine does not like to do high multiple procedures at a time.  I just had my LBL.  That alone was an 8 hour procedure.  The next surgery I have lined up is a Brachio/BL/BA.  I would advise not to get arms and stomach done at the same time.  It is unreal how much you rely on the arms when you can't use the stomach muscles (although people have done it).  Good luck!

April

160 lbs lost to date!
LBL: 6/10/09
BL/BA/Brachio: 7/14/09
MTL: 6/17/10

Ansampson
on 6/21/09 7:52 pm
I had a tummy tuck and my arms done at the same time. The benefits were I saved money by having two procedures done at once plus the recovery is only once. However, there's another side to the coin the recovery process has kicked my butt. The first week was the worst. Also, your surgeon may not want to have you under that long. Good luck to you as you continue your journey.
Redhaired
on 6/21/09 11:26 pm - Mouseville, FL
Lisa-
It all depends on the surgeon and your own unique cir****tances.  I would start going for consults and see what advice the surgeons give you on this.

Red

MelissaF
on 6/21/09 11:45 pm - Northwood, IA
I don't have much to offer other than what the other ladies told you...

You do not want a doc that will do so many procedures at once.. he is only seeing $$$'s in my opinion.. you need one that is worried about your health also.  My LBL I was on the table over 7 hours.. that is plenty to be under in one session.  Your postop health risks (blood clots, pnemonia etc) go way up after surgery the longer you are under and immobile.  I can tell you that the 7 hour procedure alone took the wind hugely out of my sails and I was a runner prior to my surgery.. I was in excellent physical condition and I lifted a lot of weights.  I was blown away how much it took it out of me.. almost scary so really keep that in mind and know that more does not = better in the plastic surgery world all the time.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Jupiter6
on 6/22/09 2:18 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
My surgeon actually prefers to do multiple procedures for the patient's sake-- he knew he'd have my $ either way. He was trained in microsurgery and routinely does patients that take as many as 24 hours, so in his words, a 12 hour PS is "par for the course and not really daunting".

But I agree, for many it's a lot to handle. I wouldn't even consider it except that he has a large surgical team and will "share the drive" as well.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

inkerdoodles
on 6/22/09 12:15 am - Schenectady, NY

We are all so darn smart... LOL Yes, it depends on the dr... Mine will do only 2 procedures at 1.. but again like it's already been said, it would also depend upon your individual cir****tances and medical needs.....

Have you considered a belt lipectomy.. that is what I'm having... it's basically a circumfrential extended tummy tuck, butt lift and upper thigh lift all in 1.... You're upper cut bacically from below what I fondly refer to as....... IHOP (international house of pancake boobies) completely around, then your lower cut is above the hoo ha.... around your hips, up and over your butt cheek, into the 'crack'. over the other cheeck, back around your hip and then back to to start..... everything inbetween goes on the cutting room floor... LOL and it also includes the tightening of the abdominal muscles..... Everything is done at once. My doc says it should take about 4 hours and I'll be in the hospital over night.. As scary as it is, I'm looking forward to it. This is hopefully the last step in the morphing of the new me.

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Melissa M.
on 6/22/09 7:19 am - Seabrook, TX
I went on several consults and the opinions were split.  Lots of docs really like to stage them out but it also depends on how much skin you have.  I had an LBL with buttock auto augmentation and BL and it took a little over 6 hours.  But then I had a couple of drs working on me at the same time.  I couldn't imagine doing my arms at the same time with a LBL or TT since you use them so much. 
Mommy2C
on 6/22/09 11:42 am - NC
Thank you all so much for your helpful and thoughtful answers.  I really appreciate the advice!  You have given me a lot to think about.  Thanks!
Lisa-
Most Active