plastic appeal letter help

gregc1016
on 6/21/09 4:23 am - Birmingham, AL
Hey all - 6 year post op rny guy here - been recommended 2 times to go to plastic consult by wls doctor and both times have been denied. If anyone has had success in writing appeal letters to Bc/BS insurance PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help would appreciate any and all advice -
THanks
Greg
Redhaired
on 6/21/09 5:43 am - Mouseville, FL
Greg-
If you will write a rough draft so I know what your issues are and send me a copy of your denial I will try to help.

Red

MelissaF
on 6/21/09 5:44 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Greg!

What is the basis of their denial? Does your insurance have a complete exclusion for plastic surgery after weight loss?  Maybe it is a matter of wording using "reconstruction" instead of "cosmetic or plastic surgery".  Have you sent in pics, do you have rashes?  Do they require documentation of this?  is the surgeon asking for more than what is normally covered like a tummy tuck rather than a panni removal? Is he used to trying to get approval for these sorts of things?

We need more info to help you.. please provide so we can assist... hang in there.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Renee H.
on 6/25/09 5:59 am - Bronx, NY
Sorry to hear you were denied twice.  It's not easy sometimes.  A lot has to do with the documentation, how the plastic surgeon's office deals with the insurance company and there are times that you really have to fight for yourself and present your own best case for approval.

As others have said, you didn't disclose very much info.  If you could tell what you issues are, how they have been documented, what you submitted to BCBS, what diagnostic codes were used and what was their basis for denial, you'd most likely get a better response.

If you want to see another person's journey and get tips on what to include in an appeals letter, perhaps you can get some ideas from http://mygastricbypass.com/appeals.htm.

Good luck.
Renee H. aka "Queen Nae"
RNY - 8/04 - Alfons Pomp - NYC
LBL - 4/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
Revision to anchor cut - 12/07 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC
UBL w/brachio - 2/09 - Thomas P. Sterry - NYC

Most Active