losing weight after surgery

vickie O.
on 6/18/09 6:40 am - amarillo, TX
i have a hernia, and have had it for about 3 months. my doc wants to take care of the hernia and do the penni at the same time some time in august. he wants my weight down to 160 and i would like to level out at about 140 or 145. he figures i will lose 5-8 lbs from the surgery.  my question is what will happen if i lose 10 or 15 lbs after my surgery.  i had my bypass 1/22/09 and i know we are pushing it already.  i wouldn't even consider the surgery this early if it weren't for the hernia, which is huge.  it is uncomfortable sometimes but not really painful. any advice? vick

EXPERIENCE WITHOUT REFLECTION IS HOLLOW

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/09 6:53 am - OH
The issue with doing a panni or TT before your weight has leveled out is that if you lose any significant weight afterward (some surgeons will do lipo during panni removal or TT, but most seem not to), you will end up with teh skin being loose again.  Not NEARLY as bad as before the PS, of course, but loose nevertheless.  If you can bear the hernia for a while longer, I would.  On the other hand, if all he is going to remove is the panni and you have loose skin above the belly button as well, then you might eventually end up having a full TT anyway to get rid of the "muffin top" sceenario... then a but off loose skin won;t matter becasue it will come out with the TT.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

vickie O.
on 6/18/09 12:01 pm - amarillo, TX
thanks for all the input.  this hernia is what is rushing everything.  i guess i will have to play it by ear.  vick

KathigME
on 6/18/09 8:06 am - Gorham, ME
In order for my insurance to approve my panni, I had to have a stable weight for one year. But it may be different since you have the hernia.  I think if you didn't have the hernia, it may be too soon to have PS.
Kathi G.  I LOVE MY RNY!!   
vickie O.
on 6/18/09 12:02 pm - amarillo, TX
i have medicare, so i don't think they will pay for anything but the hernia part. vick

dec721
on 6/18/09 8:14 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I had a tummy tuck six years ago, long before WLS.  I weighted 220 at the time, gained back up to 270, now weigh 162.  My abdomen looks pretty good, and I am 56.  It is a little loose when I lean over but not at all saggy.  With that hernia, I'd go for it.  Best wishes!         --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

vickie O.
on 6/18/09 12:03 pm - amarillo, TX
i am 56 also, and my skin is about stretched out. lol  thanks for the encouragement. vick

islander
on 6/18/09 9:22 am - Middletown, RI
Within 3 wks. after my surgery I lost 19 lbs. & I figure that the Dr. removed 5 lbs. at most.  No appetite will do that to you.  I've regarined 3-4 lbs. since then. 

No worries.  Tummy is still flat (with some swelling still).  I don't think that it's large enough of a weight loss to make any difference.   

vickie O.
on 6/18/09 12:04 pm - amarillo, TX
thanks for the input and experience. it all helps. vick

Most Active