Tuck or Fleur De Lis? I need advice!

OnMyWay3
on 6/17/09 2:22 am - NY
Heehee- thanks for all the replies!  I'm still undecided- the $$ factors in- my insurance will cover the lower tt, but the upper part is out-of-pocket. Additionally, I do already have a waist, and my biggest bulge is the panni area- there's a bit of skin and fat above the belly button, but no where near as much as below the belly button.  All that said, the panni removal (regular tt) would be for better quality of life- the infection and irritation is awful!- and the FDL and upper abdominal work would be purely aesthetic and for "looks" reasons. That's the guilt I'm dealing with in trying to make this decision!!   DH is very supportive and tells me to just go ahead and get it all done- but to save the $$, if I don't really NEED the FDL, should I just do the lower TT? Will it look funny? QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!! Thanks, all, for your help and answers!!!
jackie j
on 6/17/09 3:03 am - Glenmoore, PA
Most don't have a DH that says "go for it" and don't worry about the $$.....maybe just this once   you should listen.  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

MelissaF
on 6/17/09 3:06 am - Northwood, IA
I AGREE!!! 
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

gonemadx3
on 6/17/09 3:46 am - East Peoria, IL
I had my consult almost two weeks ago for the FDL as opposed to the TT. I already have a scar from open RNY so that doesn't bother me anyway. I do however work with a lady who had a TT not FDL  last year and she has the dreaded "muffin top"! I am MOST DEFINATELY getting the FDL. It's going to help get rid of alot of that back fat that doesn't come off with the TT.
Good luck in whichever you choose!

-Michele

lap band '05/revision to rny 11/21/07
5'6- hw/276 sw/242 cw/144 gw/140
then- bmi 36-39 now-bmi 24-
NORMAL WEIGHT

"It's  Not Who You Are On The Inside, It's What You Do That Defines You".....

or

Cindy F.
on 6/17/09 9:29 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
At the risk of sounding dumb.  (which it will not be the first time)  HAHA  What is the fleur de lis.  Please help this newbie out.

Hugs
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
OnMyWay3
on 6/17/09 10:25 am - NY
:) Hi Newbie!! :) A lower abdomen tummy tuck looks basically like an open smiley face below the belly button- an incision from hip to hip under the panniculus (overhang flap) and pretty much takes off the flap, pulling everything down (repositioning the belly button a bit higher) and suturing closed. A Fleur De Lis is an additional procedure at the same time that includes another incision, vertical from just under the sternum to meet up with the smiley-face incision below (so it'll look like an anchor when it heals). When they open this area, they shoelace-stitch the ab muscles back together, and take out skin and fat above and below the belly button, in the meantime pulling in side/back bulges if they exist. That's the way it's all been explained to me anyway. My doctor said if you put your hands on your sides and push them toward one another to meet in your middle, everything between your hands when you push them together hard is what they take out. A GREAT way to see it all in 3-d is to go to http://www.contourmd.com/Articles.asp?ID=138 and click on "Body Procedures". It's pretty cool! I'm also do a breast reduction and the 3-D of that is great, too. Hope that answers everything- and hope it's all pretty correct! I know a lower tummy tuck is different for different docs- this explanation is how my doc explained it because it's what my insurance company will cover. They don't cover the FDL at all.
Cindy F.
on 6/18/09 4:39 am - Monterey Park, CA
VSG on 09/18/07 with
Thanks so much for your help.  I will go to the site right now. 

Hugs and Kisses
 Cindy F  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain" 
bamagirlee
on 6/17/09 11:09 am - Phenix City, AL
I had the FDL and panni removal a week ago and to be honest with you the vertical incision has been nothing at all compared to everything else. In fact, it's already healing to the point of itching some. It was something that was not truly decided until the morning of surgery in the surgeons office when he was marking me up before going to the hospital. 
I'm very glad he did it that way, else I would have had extra fat and skin in the muffin to area.
The port of my lap band was in the way of a little lipo I needed, but really I'd rather have this anyway and I like the results, even still with some swelling.
Best of luck!!  
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

Melissa M.
on 6/19/09 5:23 am - Seabrook, TX
I had the LBL with the anchor cut and it looks good.  I knew from the get go that I would need the anchor cut.  A lot really depends on how much skin you have and where it is located. I have seen lots of people with great results from a TT as well.  A good PS should be able to tell you what would work best for you.

Good luck,
Melissa
EzySpirit
on 6/24/09 8:16 am - Middle Island, NY
I think, as with anything else...it is a personal choice.  I am scheduled for a FDL, Butt Lift (as well as removing excess fat from upper Abdomin)  on July 21st.  I have ALOT of excess on upper AB and I need to do the FDL...otherwise I would have a HUGE muffin top.   I was going to have thighs done at same time, but that would have been an addl $8,275 ( which can pay for arms & boobs next year).   I wish you the best in your decision.  I thought that maybe I was crazy for doing this at age 58...but...I think of it now as a continued part of my journey~!!  Hugs to all~!!

Dale

Most Active