Tuck or Fleur De Lis? I need advice!

OnMyWay3
on 6/16/09 10:25 am - NY
I am 16 months post-op (RNY 2/08, 115 lbs down) and met with a plastic surgeon for the first time today. I got a lot of info!!! THe basic question comes down to this: just have the tummy tuck (removal of panni flap basically) or the fleur de lis? The FDL tightens not only up-and-down (aka tummy tuck) but also side-to-side. The FDL leaves a 10-12 inch scar down the middle of me- though I'm not too worried about scars at this point. The extra skin truly does affect my every-day life- but just in the flap area- the whole FDL would be primarily for aesthetic reasons! If I only have just the tuck, will the rest of me look funny? Like, unfinished? Will it be obvious that I only had part of a whole procedure done???? HELP! 
happy girl
on 6/16/09 10:54 am
I have a FDL and am glad.  The incision is big, but it's also thin, plus I had 2 open surgeries already, so yeah, not a big deal.  I like that I am flat above my waist and that I have a waist. Flat, well, not yet, still REALLY swollen

Send me a friend request and you can see my photos, if you want

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

OnMyWay3
on 6/16/09 11:07 am - NY
How was the pain? Did it affect any skin/bulges on your sides or back (if you had any!)?
happy girl
on 6/16/09 1:15 pm
I didn't have any bulges on my back or sides.  I could do with some lipo on my outer thighs and hips though

Pain - Everyone is different.  I did have an OnQ pain pump which I think helped.  The thing with my surgery is that I had my inner thighs done, and that was so freaking painful, I barely paid attention to my TT.  .... having the extra incision adds to the pain.  I was on narcotics for something like 4-5 weeks fairly regularly then at night for 2 weeks.  Again, mostly for my legs, but it did cover the TT pain

Good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

ericas623
on 6/16/09 11:05 am - Roseville, MI
I am having a tummy tuck on Jne 29th.  I saw a few surgeons-none wanted me to get the FDL.  I finally found one I was comfortable with and requested it.  He said he would do it.  I have alot of skin above my belly button.  I think I have more there than lower.  He said it will take care of that and the sides.  I am going with him.  I had my gastric bypass done Lap, so I do not have a big scar.  However, I will with this one.  I don't care though.  I just want all this skin gone!!

Erica
OnMyWay3
on 6/17/09 2:26 am - NY
I agree- I don't really care too much about a scar- I don't think. I'm of course concerned about $$, but also the pain of the extra incision and extra work...   I have to do some more thinking, I guess! Maybe I'm waiting for someone to say that they just that the lower TT and the results were FANTASTIC and they're so glad they didn't waste time or money on the FDL! That probably won't happen though, right?? 
Wendy_Canada
on 6/17/09 4:21 am - Canada
Hi Erica

I am having my tummy tuck FDL on June 29th also in Toronto at 7:45 am to be exact.

I had the lap gastric bypass so didn't have the large scar but i will with this.  It bothered me at first but i want to get rid of this extra skin.  I just don't feel it would look done if i had the lower part done with all this skin on top.  I am having a breast lift at the same time.  In september i am returning to have my arms done.  that will be enough for this year  lol

I wish you a speedy recovery and will be looking forward to hearing from you.  \

Wendy (orillia Ont Canada)

Renee2007
on 6/16/09 12:28 pm - Central, FL
My surgeon thought I would have the best results with the fleur de lis. I don't want to be left with the muffin top and he says that the vertical cut will pull that in and create a waist for me. I am trusting his judgement and hoping that he is right.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

MSHAMO
on 6/16/09 1:36 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I had an extended TT. Now that all is done, I can see that a FDL would have removed extra from the waistline, but at the time I didn't want a scar. And, my main concern was my pannus. Of well, I guess that that is a decision you will have to make on your own!! Good luck, whichever one you choose will be great!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/16/09 9:22 pm
Hey there!  I just had my FDL aka Anchor cut TT done on 5/27 - LOVE the results!!!  I now have a waist!  LOL 

I had a LOT of skin and fat above my belly button and specifcally in the middle of my mid section so my surgeon agreed that short of the LBL (which I did NOT want to do) it would be the only thing to get me the results I was shooting for.  I am super glad about it - and SCREW the scar!  As I have said before - that scar gives me street cred!  I will be making up knife fight stories to explain it away.......

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Most Active