Cleared to drive ---big mistake

Ansampson
on 6/15/09 9:08 pm
Yesterday I went to the Dr's office because I thought I had an infection. Turn out to be a skin breakage nothing major. He was unable to remove my remaining two drains because the output is still too high. However, he did clear me to drive. That was a big mistake because I torn open my belly button and it was a bloody mess. Prior to me driving it was healing nicely with only one open area. Now I can see the tissue under my skin. Plus my caregiver went home yesterday. So it's just me and the kids all alone. I'll watch it for a couple of days and if it doesn't get any better I'll go back to the Dr's office on Wednesday. Any suggestions for a speedy healing process is greatly appreciated. Also, I found another way to use the TED stocking (the white one's that we had to wear at the hospital). I'm using mine's as a compression garment for my arms. They are easier to put on and hold in place very nicely. The ace bandages kept slipping and I required help to wrap my arms. Finally when did you begin to use scar cream and what's the best you've found so far?
MyQnA
on 6/15/09 10:13 pm
I am so sorry to hear about your experience.  I didn't try to drive until I was nearly 5 weeks out I think.  I just didn't like the feeling of sitting up like that.  Sounds like you are just having a bad run of luck and I think seriously if your wound is open you need to get yourself to the Dr or at least let them know and decide if you need to be seen.  But don't wait.

As for scar cream, I was told not to use Vitamin E until at least 60 days post op which is what I have used on all my serious scars.  I also use lemon juice.  I am cheap and I believe in home remedies so, I think you have time.  Be easy and I pray you are alright with that belly button.

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

HKD1970
on 6/16/09 1:16 am - Santa Rosa, CA
Oh my - that does not sound fun!!!! :(
Take it as easy as possible.  How old are your kids?

My doc said I could start using the scar cream around 3 weeks or when the glue comes off.   My incision is 3/4 covered in glue and I'm 2 weeks out today so I'm guessing I'll be right on schedule. LOL
I'm going to use Mederma and buy it from Cosco. It was $25 for a "big" tube.  I have noticed others using a strip or something - have to look into that.

Jessica H.
on 6/16/09 1:26 am - Johnson City, TN
What was it about driving that caused your belly button to open up?  Was it just the way you had to sit - the movement - the seatbelt?  Just curious because I am going stir crazy sitting in the house and need to get out!

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

Ansampson
on 6/16/09 7:09 am
I don't know what it is was about driving. I just felt something wasn't right. Then today my cousin said maybe I pushing myself to hard because I walked about three miles in an hour today. I broke down and called the doctor and they are going to see me tomorrow.
mese22
on 6/16/09 3:26 pm
Mederma is the best stuff on the market.  I used Merderma on my scar for the WLS and it did miracles compared to some other scars I have seen.
Most Active