calorie burn vs. swelling??

2kristie
on 6/15/09 5:24 am - , MO
Well, I just wanted to share my experience w/ exercise after TT...I have not swelled anymore then I was before working out.  That is working out 30-45 minutes twice a day plus cutting calories way down and getting plenty of water and watching my sodium and taking my supplements/vitamins.  So, for me at least, my calorie burn is way more important to my health and well-being then not doing much cuz I swell at every turn.  I have measured as well and the swelling is maybe a little better but no worse.  My "head" and stress level is better for it so it is worth just pushing through and feeling better after recovery. 

Oh, I have been doing this for 2 weeks (2 lbs lost) and I am 13.5 weeks out and it took me awhile to feel well enough to work out hard...no binder while I do it and I am doing some Pilates too...still no swelling worse then when I didnt do anything.  I did gain about 10 lbs from not being active w/ recovery so I am so excited to be back into the groove. 
MyQnA
on 6/15/09 10:17 pm
Hi Kristie,

Can you explain a little more what you are talking about?  I notice that I swell up quite a bit after an ab workout but, I don't care.  Have you found some way to reduce the swelling?  i am not sure I understand the post and if you have a tip to burn extra calories I am all over it.

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

Susan S.
on 6/16/09 2:36 am - Roselle, NJ
You would really benefit from wearing some type of compression when you work out.  I still do - and I'm months and months out from my first procedure and months from my last procedure.  Compression helps a great deal with the swelling and rebuilding of capillary beds and lymphatics.  I went back to the gym very soon after each of my procedures and while I did have to modify to accomodate the unique challenges of each - it saved me (so understand the 'head' thing).......but compression will help. I lost weight after each of my procedures - lousy appetite and all that.......but I did feel like I lost conditioning - which I've since regained again.      Glad you're feeling better.    Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

2kristie
on 6/16/09 5:02 am - , MO
Thanks so much for the info.  For clarification, I was trying to get back to my workouts since 8 weeks out and everytime I did too much I would just swell like a balloon and thought that I was doing too much so I stopped and didnt do much and I paid the price.  My appetite was taking me over, my mental health was horrible and I could tell I was losing my physical strength and endurance.  I felt horrible and it seemed to be a cycle I couldnt break.  I was told that if I did too much for my recovery process I would swell so slow down.  Well, I couldnt take it anymore.  They removed 10 lbs. of skin and I put on about 20 lbs...I was getting depressed being in such limbo.  So, I just decided to exercise regardless of the swelling and do burn the calories and start to lose the weight no matter the outcome.  I have been working nonstop for two weeks logging my food and moving more then ever and I thought I would pay the price by being more swollen but it hasnt hurt anything.  I have measured and my swelling has not gone down but hasnt increased either.  I have lost 2 lbs...not as much as I would have thought but "just keep swimming", right?

I just wanted to share w/ others to just do what feels right but dont let the swelling stop you from getting a good workout...this was something I felt confused about and I just wanted others to know its ok to move a little.  

I would normally wear some spandex to hold my thighs and butt from shaking around but I can not take that compression around my waist yet so it is summer and I just can not talk myself into the ankle to breastbone compression garmet...I must do the ones to my ankles cuz i have such flab in my thighs it looks like sausage if I stop at the thigh.  I plan to give the spandex, running pant things another chance in a couple of weeks.  I have been doing a lot of water aerobics and it seems to be easier on my body right now.  Will graduate to regular aerobics soon...and I just love Pilates,,,can not wait to work up to more. 

Most Active