What do you wish you had known.... but no one told you

inkerdoodles
on 6/14/09 11:31 pm - Schenectady, NY

Before Surgery, while you were at the hospital or postop....... LOL

We've all done the ... if I had only known (or) I wish I had known..... before our WLS or before anyother surgery or life changing event.... For those of use getting ready for sugery.. Espicially those of us having a TT, LBL or in my case a BL (belt lipectomy.... Abdominoplasty, butt lift and upper thigh lift).... What advise could you give us... What did you wish you had known...

I've already started to think..... what clothing should I have at home for after my surgery... Stock up on the ole' protein....But what else should I/ we know...

Here's just a few random thoughts...

~ what should I bring to the hospital.... definately chap stick, should I bring a pillow for my ride home like I had to with my GBP.. I need to make sure  I have loose fitting clothes for coming home....

~ should I ask my doc to try to prescribe my pain meds in liquid form.. Would that work better than a pill form? I saw that some people take 1/2 the dosage every 2 hours to keep your pain med level consistant...

ok... and now the biggie..... Here's the one no one wants to ask and I'm afraid to ask... The pictures I'm seeing. I'm ok with having the drains.... let's just say... at the lowest gravitational spot... LOL BUT.......... did you shave before surgery... did you wake up bald (brain over load... brain over load...) my brain doesn't want to think about some stranger shaving me while I'm unconscious.... LOL Or do I put my big girl panties on and go for the.... let's just say... complete wax job.... I'm sure that pain would well prepare me for any uncomfortableness I would then be feeling after surgery...

So fill us in..... LOL I need something to keep my mind busy for the next 29 days... LOL

Lisa...   HW/ 314.7   SW/ 280   CW/ 180ish

RNY ~ 01/25/2008 Terrence Clarke (Ellis Hosptial Bariatric Center).... Lower Body Lift with butt lift and upper thigh lift ~  07/14/2009 Sanjiv Kayastha (K Plastic Surgery) -- LOVE IT !!!!

Redhaired
on 6/14/09 11:39 pm - Mouseville, FL
I felt like I went into my TT pretty well informed.  There were no real surprises.  So I can't help with that, but I did want to make a comment on the shaving.  I asked my surgeon about this.  I was told that there would be no shaving!  They would clip the hair in surgery.  And actually they would prefer that one not shave because of the increased risk of infection.  So while I did a little grooming with some scissors before, I decided to just let them do what they felt was necessary.

Red

BigCityGirl
on 6/14/09 11:54 pm - San Diego, CA
No shoelaces with your LBL or TT!  And make sure someone is there to put on your socks and shoes for you.  Loose clothing and button down shirts.  They shave you - so I wouldn't do anything - my surgeon specifically said not to shave because of infection reasons.  Chap stick?  Never heard of it.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/15/09 1:15 am
I wish a someone hadda told me about the pain meds!!!!  Dang doc cut me off at just one bottle!  That was BULLSHIOT!!!!!  LMAOOOOO

Wish someone hadda told me that with my breast lift, I would feel like my boobies are foreign and that I wouldn't begin to like them until at least two weeks out.

Wish someone hadda told me how important 80oz of water A DAY would be - I messed up and didn't drink enough and felt MAJOR sick effects.......

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

Brandi7920
on 6/15/09 1:15 am - Nashville, TN
Definitely chapstick! lol I didn't need a pillow for the ride home - but you can always just put one in the car in case you feel that you need it.

I wish I had drunk more water the night before my surgery. My veins were much smaller than normal because of that...which made a bit of a job of getting the IV started. Bah. I was all over the place the night before...too scatterbrained and didn't drink near as much fluid as normal.

I wore flip flops,a knee length pajama shirt and a robe home from the hosptial. Classy, I know - but it took no effort and I literally walked in the house, got all propped up on the couch and went to sleep. lol

I have liquid antibiotics and my pain med is non-coated - I just bite it in 2 and then swallow each half. lol I've not had any problems with the meds working.

I thought the countdown would drive me nuts, but I was so busy trying to get everything at my 2 jobs and at home to be prepared for my down time after surgery that I was running bonkers and it got here before I knew it.

Good luck with you surgery!

Brandi
RNY 02/16/04
LBL, MTL, Lipo 06/04/09
351lb to 170lb
Honeyblonde
on 6/15/09 3:45 am - MN
With my LBL, they didn't shave me, but because they pulled up the skin from below (mons area), my hairline is significantly higher than it was before so there's a little more "grooming" necessary.  Sure is wonderful to be nice and tight though - BONUS!  And no more flapping down below.

I wish I had known my butt crack was going to be a little higher.

And, I wish I had known that because I can wear things that are fitted (even tight), I can wear belts and tuck in my tops - it's SO much more fun to shop for clothes!  I never turn down a chance to go shopping anymore.  So, I definitely have to watch my budget!!

~ BJ

Cindy C.
on 6/15/09 4:46 am
I wish someone would have told me to rest a while after tax season (90+ hours a week for weeks and weeks on end) before putting my body through plastic surgery.

I wish someone would have told me how long it would be before my breasts felt and looked like normal breasts.

I wish someone would have told me how darn awful the TT drains were.  I had no idea they would be placed in the mons area and stay there for what seemed an eternity.

I wish someone had told me just how bad the swelling from the TT can really be.  Just how long it can last.  That I might look pregnant.  Fortunately, before the TT, I had a fairly flat belly, especially in my clothes.  I was totally unprepared to look and feel fat all of a sudden.  Some days I still do.  It's been 7 weeks today.

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

MSHAMO
on 6/15/09 4:50 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
In the hospital, I wish that I had my rolaids, it took me two hours to get a little Mylanta, finally had to tell them to call my Dr. right now!! This is at 3:00 am and I can't sleep!! Also, make sure that you are taking stool softeners, the pain meds will really block you up!!  No, I was not shaved, just scissored a little. Good luck, you will love your surgery, the first couple of days are a little rough until you get in the "groove". Make sure you keep your drain lines stripped!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
bamagirlee
on 6/15/09 7:59 am - Phenix City, AL
1. Take stool softners BEFORE you feel like you need them.  I mean like start in the recovery room! LOL Somebody probaby told me that but I have never had 'issues' before and didn't take it to heart

2. Something someone DID tell me and is worth it's weight in gold - have baby wipes to clean yourself up with before you can get in the shower, they are also good for cleaning your incision area. They are also good for stripping your draines. (so are alcohol wipes)

3. Have the fast release extra strength tylenol at home to use for when you are ready to come off the pain pills but not pain free.
Phyllis

HW 314, SW 287, PS Weight 198, CW 181

Panniculectomy/Anchor TT   06-10-09 

7.4cc in 10cc band 

ArielSanders
on 6/16/09 1:39 am - houston, TX
that after my LBL on the 9th , that as a 29 yr old man , I'D HAVE AN INTRESTING SET OF HIPS...My doctors was like, your kinna fine and curvry..I asked , can you fix it. He laffed and said it would go away with the swelling. I didnt think i'd drain for so long.
Most Active