Anyone need a transfusion?

Rachel1219
on 6/14/09 4:03 pm - IL
My doctor said that Gastric Bypass patients can sometimes need a transfusion after plastics and suggested that someone donate blood on my behalf.  Just wondering if this happened to anyone and what I should expect?

My husband is a universal donor, so we're going to have him donate just in case...but I'm hoping for there not to be a just in case.

Thanks,
Rachel
cbhjr98
on 6/14/09 4:17 pm
I should have had a transfer - now I wish that my boyfriend had been allowed to give blood because at 2 months out I'm still anemic (low-iron) and they are trying to treat it with low dose pills but I still feel like crap.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
BigV
on 6/14/09 4:26 pm - UK
I remember reading somewhere that you could donate your own  blood to keep just in case...... as long as you have enough time to replace it before the surgery...... if possible that has to be the best and safest way of having a transfusion
Shirley H.
on 6/14/09 9:13 pm - Bradenton, FL
Hi Rachel well I myself did not need blood but my sister did ended up needed 3 bags of blood and if anyone would have told us we would have already had that in place because we would have rather her get family blood than a stranger doner so if I was you I would go ahead and have him donate just in case I think I would have rather been safe than sorry. My sister had mult hernia repair and over 30 pounds of skin removed,.... I had 1 hernia repair and about 11 pounds of skin removed.
Shirley
wendybear1
on 6/14/09 10:22 pm - Brooklyn, NY
I had to bank two pints before my abdominoplasty. I needed both, so it was good that I had.

Redhaired
on 6/14/09 10:31 pm - Mouseville, FL
I developed some internal bleeding issues after my TT.  I had to have a lot of blood and they ended up operating on me a second time.  While I think this was caused by my clotting disorders and the fact that the resident started me on lovenox too soon, I still have the fear of having received donated blood instead of my own or my husbands.  If there is time I would bank some blood.

Red

Brandi7920
on 6/15/09 1:28 am - Nashville, TN
I had a spurting vein that reared it's head right after my LBL, had to be wheeled back into the OR that night to coterize the little sucker. I was given a unit of blood. (mine was a rare fluke incident, as I've never had blood issues)

My best friend went and donated blood the next day as a way of thanksgiving for the blood that I needed.

I'm thankful for, rather than concerned about, the blood that I received.

It certainly can't hurt to have blood banked, though. If nothing else it could be donated if you don't need it afterall.

Good luck!
Brandi
RNY 02/16/04
LBL, MTL, Lipo 06/04/09
351lb to 170lb
Most Active