a little help...

pastorwilli
on 6/14/09 1:10 pm - rosedale, IN
This is only my second time on the site, but I have spent hours looking at before/after pics!  WOW!  I've known for a couple of years that I wanted to have bariatric surgery and I'm not sure why I haven't done it yet!  I'm so sick of....the doctor telling me how fat I am everytime I have to get weighed!  ...my back hurting and high blood pressure  ...not wanting to leave my house when I'm crying because I have nothing that looks good on me  ...etc.

Now, I've selected a surgeon that is fairly close to me and I'm requesting info.  Mainly, because of the testimonies I've read and the research I've done that makes me believe I can do it!  And, I'm fairly certain that my insurance will cover something.
However, my wonderfully supportive husband is against it because a friend of mine died from complications about a year ago.  I'm to the point where the quality of my life is much too important not to proceed.  It's not that I necessarily "need his permission" but I'd like his support.  He is thin with a metabolism faster than my car and I just keep getting bigger!  He can't possibly understand how this feels. 

Any advice?

Redhaired
on 6/14/09 1:15 pm - Mouseville, FL
I am sure your DH is just scared of something happening to you.  Try to involve him as much as you can in the pre-op stuff.  Have him attend support groups and go with you to see the surgeon.  The more he sees people who are successful the better he will feel about you having the surgery.  But even if he does not come around this is something that you can do on your own. 

Red

MSHAMO
on 6/14/09 7:02 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
You didn't say what WLS your friend had. There are several different ones and if you go to an info session with your husband, he might feel more secure in knowing you will be alright. I had VSG and, in my humble opinion, I had felt that VSG was the safest, least invasive and had low malabsorbsion problems of all the WLS.  I was 58 when I had mine, sure wish I hadn't spent my whole life being fat, it was the best thing I have ever done and I am a self pay and worth every penny!!!! Good luck on your journey!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active