drain hole draining again

Shirley H.
on 6/13/09 5:25 am - Bradenton, FL
hey guys well I just took some pain pills but I need your help, I had my drain taken out Tuesday I had surgery hernia repair and panni on May 28 and had 2 drains one removed at 1 week out and the other Tuesday all was good I was down to just useing Tylanol for discomfort  in the middle of the night I woke up wet the hole where the drain was removed Tuesday opened up and started draining again.... I cleaned up called the dr at 8 am he called back asked did it have a bad smell I said No he asked was I running a fever I said No he said how big was the hole I said half of what it was  when the drain came out  he said well let it drain asked when was my next appointment I said Tuesday  he said ok keep guaze on it and enless I start running a fever it was ok and he would see me Tuesday.... does anyone think that this isn't right that I should have been seen? I have pain above the staple line about 4 inches from where the draining is coming out. alot of pain.... that feels better with pressure is on it so the tighter I put the binder the better!
please if anyone has had this tell me how did you end up and should I have been seen?
Shirley
MelissaF
on 6/13/09 5:29 am - Northwood, IA
I have to agree with your surgeon.. as long as the drainage isn't foul smelling, ***** like and u aren't running a fever more than likely it is just the body doing what it is supposed to do, draining the fluid off.  It sounds like u are healing well despite the drainage.  You want the drainage to come out. You can slightly press around the area and see if you can push some more out.. do it gently.  If u see any of the things I mentioned tho call your doctor pronto.  This isn't unusual at all. If you heal over and still have drainage you may end up with a seroma which is just fluid accumulation not infection.  They would have to take a needle and aspirate it off.. not a bad thing at all and not very painful, you usually feel better once it is aspirated but hopefully you won't have to do that.  Keep an eye on it and if anything changes call them.  Good luck!
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Shirley H.
on 6/13/09 5:40 am - Bradenton, FL
thanks Mellisa I trust your knowlage (SP) I think you truely know what your talking about! Should I use ice packs or heat packs to relieve some of my discomfort?
thanks again Shirley
MelissaF
on 6/13/09 5:41 am - Northwood, IA
Run that question by your surgeon as every surgeon has their own protocol on what they prefer with ice and/or heat.  Good luck sweetie, take your pain meds too.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Redhaired
on 6/14/09 1:11 pm - Mouseville, FL
Shirley-
I had drainage from the drain hole for a while.  I put a a piece of guaze on it and then covered that with a sanitary napkin to keep from getting everything stained.  I got the same talk, as long as there was no fever, no smell then it was just normal post-op drainage.

Red

Most Active