Fluid drawn off today!

CoronaRN
on 6/12/09 1:25 pm - Huddleston, VA

I am 3 wks out from a TT with muscle repair.  I have continued to run a fever up to 101.8.  I called my PS today to let him know and he wanted to see me.  Well, I go in and dang if I don't have fluid build up in my lower belly!  He drew off almost 600cc's of fluid!  Thank goodness it was a good color and had no smell.  He's sending it off for a culture anyway.  He said he would probably pull more fluid off next week at my next checkup. 

Whew!  Has anyone else had to go thru this?

Tanya

Ansampson
on 6/12/09 8:48 pm
No I haven't gone through this and I'm praying that I don't. I just wanted to send some positive vibes your way. Also, how long ago was it before you have your drains removed? I'm sure you'll be fine just a little speed bump on the road to recovery.
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/09 9:20 pm
Shirley H.
on 6/13/09 4:58 am - Bradenton, FL

Tanya  I am about 2 and a half  weeks  out  from hernia repair and panni removale. ok well I had my drains already removed the second one was taken out on Tuesday  I woke up in the middle of the night and was wet around my drain site well it started draining again  so I got up started pressing around the site of the hole and well got lots out so around 8 am called the Dr and when he called back asked did it smaell I said no did I have a fever I said no he said when am I to see you in the office I said Tuesday he asked how the insition looked I said fine and he said keep guauze on the hole and let it drain said if I get a fever to call him back otherwise see him Tuesday I do have one section above my insition that is painful and feels better when it has pressure on it . do you think this all sounds right or should he have seen me today?  I sure hope you start feeling better.
Thanks Shirley

CoronaRN
on 6/13/09 9:09 am - Huddleston, VA
Well, I'm not a doctor...just a nurse.  But if it were me.....and the incision looked fine....and the drainage didnt have a smell, and I didn't have a fever....I would wait to see him.  In my case, I kept running a fever so I knew something was wrong. 

Tanya
MelissaF
on 6/13/09 5:39 am - Northwood, IA
This is hugely common postop Tanya.  It is known as a "seroma".  You may have to have it done a couple more times but know it is very easily remedied and nothing to be overly concerned about, glad you got it off, 600ml is a lot of fluid. You prob feel a lot less pressure now.  Good for you.  hang in there.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

CoronaRN
on 6/13/09 8:56 am, edited 6/13/09 9:13 am - Huddleston, VA
This is good to know.  That's what he said.  I can tell where I already have some more built up today!  I feel really good other than that. 

My left drain was removed at 1 1/2 wks out and my right drain was removed last tuesday.  And had to have fluid pulled off on friday! 

Tanya
MSHAMO
on 6/13/09 10:17 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I had my drains in for up to 4 weeks, so I didn't go thru what you are, Good luck, hope all is well!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
amyc
on 6/14/09 10:13 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Tanya,
My mom (not a WLS patient) had a tummy tuck 3 months ago.  She is still having to be drained.  Today made her 17th time.   Her surgeon is pretty stumped.  He almost put a drain back in today.  This week she started showing signs of infection.  We should find out tomorrow if she is infected and what kind it is. 
He has been doing TTs for 30 years and this is the first time he has had to drain someone so much.  I hope I haven't scared you.  I was just letting you know what is going on with her.
Amy

CoronaRN
on 6/14/09 12:18 pm - Huddleston, VA
Amy,

I already have a good amount of fluid build up again and he just drained me friday.  I'm gonna call his office tomorrow and see if he wants to see me sooner than Wed.  I knew that seromas were common after this surgery but was hoping I wouldnt have this problem.  That does sound very unusual for someone that's 3 mos out to still be having that much drainage.  I'm curious to see what's that all about. 

Good news is my fever hasn't gone over 99 since friday!

Tanya
Most Active