Binder

Jessica H.
on 6/11/09 1:57 pm - Johnson City, TN
My doctor didn't give me any instructions about the binder before I left the hospital, but from reading postson here, I gather you're supposed to wear it 24/7 for the first couple of weeks.  Anyway, I HATE the thing!!  Btw, I'm 4 days post-op. I can't seem to get it on in such a way that it won't hit one of my drain sites.  It's very irritating and it's keeping those drain sites red, painful, and bleeding.  What's the importance of wering the binder?  Can anything else be substituted?  My grandmother sent an old back support belt to me and I've got it on outside my clothes.  It offers support, but doesn't irritate those drains.  Anyone have any answers or suggestions for me?

330/294/161/170

highest/surgery/current/GOAL!  *Below Goal!*

dreamseeker
on 6/11/09 2:08 pm

yes the binder should be worn 24/7.  It will help reduce swelling as well as it helps with the contouring and shaping as your body adjusts to the changes that were recently made.  I  am not sure where your drains are so don't have any suggestions on that one.  Mine were on the tops of my thighs so well out of the way of the binders. Sorry to hear that your having that problem.  I would call your drs office tomorrow to see what they can suggest.

Good luck

By the way.. you grow to love the binder. haha I hated it at first too.  I have to wear two cause i have a long torso and my ps doesn't like the long one piece ones they have.

Marnie 

Jessica H.
on 6/11/09 2:16 pm - Johnson City, TN
Yuck.  I'm sorry you have to wear 2!

My drains are on either side of my tummy.  The left one is right beside my left hipbone.  The right drain is so far past my hipbone that I would just consider it on the side of my abdomen.  Think the back support thing will work for tonight?  I need some relief from the pain!

330/294/161/170

MelissaF
on 6/11/09 2:09 pm - Northwood, IA
I assume u have drains down in the vaginal area correct? I know its horrible, I hated that part but u must must wear your binder for swelling and it will help your overall results.   Your incisions don't need all that swelling pressure on them and the binder does provide them with relief from that pressure.

What I did was take gauze and balled it up on each side of the drain so the compression garment was not pressing down on the drain tubes.. took that pressure off.  Try that.. see if it helps. It did for me but yeah, it is uncomfrotable.. I know.  Soon those babies will be out of you!!! You will feel like a new woman! Try what i suggested it will take a good wad one on either side of each tube.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Jessica H.
on 6/11/09 2:18 pm - Johnson City, TN
Thanks Melissa, I'll try that tomorrow ;)

330/294/161/170

cbhjr98
on 6/11/09 4:24 pm
It's an urban myth that everyone grows to love their binder. I stopped wearing mine on EXACTLY the day he let me loose - OMG I felt so much better. I still hate the thought of having it on...  It's either love it or hate it.... I never grew to love the horrible thing, but I still wore it every day for the first 6 weeks.  It does get a lot easier after the drains are removed though.

Good luck!

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
DEBI R.
on 6/11/09 5:52 pm, edited 6/11/09 5:52 pm - CORSICANA, TX
I had 6 drains and my binder did rub the ones on the sides of my  outer thighs and I had sharp pains from it but I still wore it.

I love my binder and feel strange without it and it's been 2 months since my LBL. During the day I wear a shaper/girdle and at night I wear my binder. My hips and back are still numb and I feel like I'm going to pop open without my binder or shaper on. Debi

____debi__________200.jpg image by tunie_2006 item11.jpg image by tunie_2006      

minuature pinscher 

Honeyblonde
on 6/11/09 9:57 pm - MN
Hi Jessica -

So sorry your binder is irritating your drain sites so much.   I agree with Melissa that the binder is important for awhile to keep swelling down, etc.   If you can find something that fits your body better and still holds on to you tight, go for it!  And, if the back support belt feels good, do it!

I was able to to tape gauze pads over the drain incisions and then always wore a long tank top under the binder so it didn't bother me so much.  I would also tighten it and loosen it throughout the day for some relief. 

Take care - hope you start feeling more comfortable soon!

~ BJ

# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 6/11/09 10:33 pm
Hey there Jessica! 

My surgeon had me NOT wear a binder until my drains came out - it was difficult - but he said that he'd seen too many complications with the binder and the drains..........

Sounds like you have come up with a good alternative - you want to be sure you leave those drains alone as much as possible so that they can do their 'thing' - once you get them out - it gets a LOT better........

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

MSHAMO
on 6/11/09 11:36 pm - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I love my binder and at 15 weeks out, I still wear it. With the drains, it's annoying. But, I am short bodied and my binder was long, so after a few weeks, I cut 1/3 off my binder all the way around. So much more comfortable. Don't know if you should cut it so soon though!!
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Most Active