High Blood Pressure and weight loss

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 12:38 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi all
So a great benefit to losing all this weight is I have been able to wean myself off the high blood pressure meds (with my dr's approval of course).
I noticed each time I cut the doze that I retained a little water.....would go up 1-3 lbs and then it would level off.

I'm finally off them altogether and I feel great, better than I have in 15 years.......but I am retaining a couple lbs of water (I think it's about 2 or 3)

I did a little research on the internet and it did say that HBP meds can act as a slight diuretic.  My Dr is very blessed with how I am doing......I just wish I could shed the 3 lbs.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Or have you heard the HBP pills can have a diuretic effect?

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Ruth

Redhaired
on 6/10/09 12:43 am - Mouseville, FL

Many BP medications contain a diuretic.  

Red

Lisa A.
on 6/10/09 12:49 am
May i suggest drinking diet cranberry juice.. Works so amazing for fluid retention .periods post surgery
Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 8:34 am, edited 6/10/09 11:12 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I haven't heard that cranberry juice has that effect.......I love the stuff....I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow and give it try.
Thanks!
Jessie-F
on 6/10/09 7:42 am
Hi Ruth,
I too have HBP. I guess it depends on what meds you take, I know Lotrel and Atenenol have diuretics in them, Norvasc doesn't. I take Norvasc plus a diuretic seperately, w/o the diuretic I gain up to 5 pounds instantly! As soon as I take it, I lose it. I wish my weight loss would have declined my BP but apparrently its due to emotional/ stress, not weight. Maybe you need a diuretic w/o the BP meds in it. What about the suana? Maybe all that steam would make you sweat all the extra water, just a thought.

Highest weight:215/ Surgery day:199/ current:139/ Goal weight:130

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/09 8:34 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi Jesse,
Oddly enough I do take a separate diuretic and if I stop it I too gain 5 pounds instantly!!!!!!

Sure would be nice to drop weight will a pill but we all know that is not real. 

Seems to me today I am shedding some more water than normal....in other words....I'm peeing a lot today.  LOL.  So maybe it is working it's way out of my system.  I hope!!!
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/09 7:41 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
When I had HBP prior to surgery, I was on 40MG of Listrinopril PLUS a diuretic. 

Maybe your doctor has write you a scrip for a diuretic or you can talk to your nut about how to adjust your diet to avoid water retention?
Most Active